Please sign in to post.

Tuscany

We have five to six days to spend, arriving from Sorrento to Siena, plan on renting a vehicle in Siena. We will be exploring Florence, Lucca & Pisa separately (2 days). My question, because we want to explore an agriturismo is there a recommended area that we can stay at and see Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, Volterra and Siena. Or is this not duable. Hope this makes sense. Thankyou.

Posted by
11180 posts

For most of those towns, stay in Montalcino. For the Chianti villages(Castellina, Greve, Radda, Panzano, etc) stay in lovely Siena.

Posted by
148 posts

We've found it best to use 2 base locations when exploring these areas of Tuscany - one in the Chianti area, and another in the Val D'Orcia area - otherwise you're spending hours driving each day from one base location.

We like Radda in Chianti as a base for exploring all of the beautiful towns, villages, and castle wineries in the Chianti area. We like Pienza (halfway between Montalcino and Montepulciano) as a base for exploring the Val D'Orcia area.

Posted by
32 posts

We stayed in Siena and moved to an agriturismo in Pienza after that. From there we went to Montalcino, Montepulciano and other places. We stayed at Fonte Bertusi and could not have been happier. We went to wineries, cheese farm, cooking class, etc. all from there. The hosts are the best and have a huge notebook in your room with lots of suggestions. They can make any reservations for you. There is a variety of rooms and also a pool. Pienza will make you feel like you are in an Italian movie. It is the one place I would go back to in a heartbeat. If you look at the website for Fonte Bertusi you can see the different rooms they have.

Posted by
5 posts

Thankyou, sounds like what we are looking for, can you tell me how many days did you spend in Siena and what you did.

Kim