Please sign in to post.

Tuscany

We (two empty nester couples) are going to Italy for the first time. After 11 days in Rome, Venice and Florence we plan to rent a car in Florence and see Tuscany/Umbria on our own for a few days before returning to Rome. Our thought is to find one town in Tuscany and use it as a central point for our travels. Any ideas? Oh yes, we are partial to the grape.

Posted by
831 posts

Tim,
If you like brunello go to Montalcino. If Vin Nobile try Montepulciano, for chianti try greve. If you need moe ideas you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Posted by
3551 posts

Siena is a great base and town in itself. You could even be w/o a car here and see alot by bus. we did and loved it.

Posted by
3313 posts

You'll need a car if you want to visit wineries and the famous appelations. In which case, I'd suggest a smaller town (than Siena) where parking and access are easier. If being in a town at night is not a priority for you, look into staying at an agriturismo.

Posted by
510 posts

We love Cortona and have been there five times and are planning on going back next year. There are great places to stay in and around Cortona. We have stayed at La Certosa three times and once at Pancrazi. We rented through classictuscanhomes.com and really like them. Pancrazi is right in town, but beware, there are a lot of steps to the apartment and the apartment itself is on four levels. The top level is a terrace overlooking the rooftops of Cortona.

Cortona is a great location because it is so easy to visit central Tuscany and Umbria from there. We have done daytrips by car to: Assisi, Spello, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, Monticchiello, Siena, Orvieto, Civita, San Gimignano and various wineries. We have done daytrips by train to Florence and Arezzo.

Cortona also has two museums and numerous restaurants.

Posted by
34 posts

Siena is good, but very turisty. If you want an authentic Tuscan experience and I would stay in the amazing San Quirico d'Orcia valley near Pienza and Montepulciano, it was our favorite part of Italy and we went to Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Rome, Naples, and Pompeii. I know of a great agriturismo that will treat you wonderfully, Nilla makes the most incredible meals, all fresh and homemade. The accomadations where the nicest and least expensive of anywhere else we stayed on the trip! Cheak out http://www.casalprato.com/