Please sign in to post.

Tuscany

First thanks to all who have helped me with my previous inquiries. You have been very helpful. The trip plan is really coming together but I still have lots of questions. We have decided to spend a week in Tuscany. We think we have settled on lodging etc. but now have lots of other questions. First we plan to do some wine tasting in the area. Is it like here in Napa where we can just drive up or do we need a tour, appointment etc. Your experiences will help. thanks.

Posted by
551 posts

You didn't say where you are staying in Tuscany or how you'll get around. Two weeks ago we had an apartment in Florence for five nights and found several tours that will take you into Chianti and other regions to taste wine, have dinner and/or sight see. These are either by bus or van and can be for several hours the entire day. If you have a car...God forbid...you will much more flexibility. Drivers of cars and motor scooters are a little nuts over there, but not so bad out in the country side. We let someone else do the driving and tell us what we were seeing and it was much better. If you do have a car, try Villa Vignamaggio, which is in the Chianti region and about 30 miles from Florence (Siena is only another 30). It's incredible. Their web site is:

(http://www.vignamaggio.com/english/enter.html

Posted by
831 posts

Bill,
It is not like Napa. Most places require an appointment. Tell us where your lodgings are and I am sure you will get some suggestions.

Posted by
139 posts

We will be staying in Cortona area. We will have a car and don't worry too much about driving around the country side. We will be there for 6 nights and plan a day trip to Florence and a day trip to Siena. We may do those by train. Since I agree that I don't want to be driving in large cities. We hope to get to Chianti area and Montepluciano.