Please sign in to post.

tuscan hill towns

I will be traveling in June from Rome by train to Orvieto, renting a car and exploring the wine country and hill towns of Tuscany and Florence with my Mom and daughter. We have 7 days. Many agriturismo and villas require a 7 day Sat to Sat rental. The question is:should we rent an apartment at an agriturismo and go into different towns as day trips? I want to spend only a day in Florence and not stay in a hotel there. I think I want to see Cortona, Volterra, Sienna and maybe Montepulciano. Where should we be based? What is the most scenic and convenient location? We would love to have some connection with the family at the farm. Horses or other animals are a plus, and cheese making would be interesting. We like COMFY beds and decor that is classic country or modern. Not overly contrived or tacky. Any suggestions???

Posted by
15043 posts

Based on your intended destinations, you should look for accommodations (maybe even an Agriturismo) near Siena with reasonably close proximity to the freeway between Siena and Florence or the freeway from Siena to Bettolle. Use Google Maps to find out where accommodations are located before you make reservations.

Posted by
1633 posts

Like you said, many agriturismos require a 7 day stay especially during the high season. However, you could also rent an apartment or rooms at a B&B that have a pool and breakfast in the morning but no horses/animals. These accommodations don't require a 7 day rental. Sometimes, at the most, 3-4 days stay is required. If you would like the names of these type of places, send me a personal message.