Please sign in to post.

Tuscan/Florence/Venice Itinerary - Early April 2016

Good morning,

We are starting to hammer out an itinerary and would love to have some input on a 14-16 day visit tp Tuscany. My preference is a fly in to Florence with a quick exit to a relaxing farmhouse stay to help with jet lag recovery. Then, we'd finish our trip with a visit to Florence, with Venice as a trip end option. We like local immersions and a slower pace, rather than whirlwind. That way, if this is our only visit to Tuscany, we've done it with a deeper exploration and feel that we've really experienced the people and the landscape. Also, we don't mind 1-2 hour drives to get around. We've found that hopscotching from location to location with 1-2 night stays (without the help of a tour) doesn't really work for us that well and it is more relaxing with a multiple day base from which to work.

Overall, we plan on doing some hiking, winery visits, food of course, horseback riding and photographing our drives through the country side. Places we'll visit: Florence, Siena, Montepulciano, San Gigminano, Lucca, Cinque Terre (if time permits), with an option of 3 days in Venice at the end. Any thoughts would be appreciated (especially if something awesome is lacking!) Many thanks! Ciao!

Day 1 USA to Florence

Day 2 Florence to Agriturismo (halfway between Florence and Siena) car rental for duration of Tuscan visit

Day 3 Hiking (location TBD)

Day 4 Visit Siena

Day 5 Possible overnight in Siena (would like to have a special meal and not drive back to our apartment at night)

Day 6 Montepulciano and surrounding area

Day 7 Back to Agriturismo

Day 8 Exploring Hill Towns and potential day trip to Lucca - rent bikes

Day 9 Depart Agriturismo for Florence

Day 10 Florence (museums, etc)

Day 11 Florence (museums, etc)

Day 12 Depart Florence for USA or Venice (train travel Florence to Venice)

Day 13 option - Venice

Day 14 option - Venice

Day 15 option - Venice to USA

Posted by
4896 posts

If you've never been to Venice, then I would suggest three full days as a minimum -- preferably more, but then it is one of our favorite cities so we're somewhat biased. It is a truly unique place unlike any other to which we traveled. It is really a photographers dream. Of course it all depends on what really interest you. Just one of many opinions you're going to get.l

Posted by
8170 posts

We made this same trip 2 years ago, and your itinerary is just fine. We too prefer to travel a little slower as there's just so much to see and taste in Tuscany.
We flew into London to visit a niece and then flew from Gatwick to Pisa inexpensively. It's a much larger airport than Florence.
We took the 1 hr. train over to Florence and spent a long weekend before moving to our agriturismo between Certaldo and San Gimignano. Travel throughout the region is easy as roads are good and well marked--but a little crooked. We really liked Volterra and Orvieto hilltowns.

It's not easy to fly into Florence from the U.S. as the best connecting flights are probably through Paris de Gaulle (Air France) or Amsterdam (KLM). They'll probably want to put you on one of those 6:00 a.m. flights out of Venice to a large gateway European airport where you'll sit around til mid morning. Many travelers also visit Rome, and fly home from there.

Posted by
7337 posts

Hi Terry, your posting gives a good idea of your travel style.

If you're flying from Detriot, it looks like there's some good options into Florence to arrive in the morning. This would allow you to travel to the Agriturismo for your first evening - avoiding repacking, etc. the next morning when you're tired. It's always nice to wake up the first morning in Europe and be able to enjoy that "you're there"!

I definitely recommend Venice and glad that you're giving it a few days. The flights are early to leave, but you can always stay the night before closer to the airport.

The food is amazing, and you probably would enjoy a cooking class - great way to find out more about real Italian food. We enjoyed our Rome cooking class for many reasons - one being the chance to be with a group for the afternoon for lively social interaction.

Beautiful area - enjoy your trip!

Posted by
906 posts

I like it, stay with it. But......
I wouldn't worry too much about driving home after a Siena dinner, not that big a deal.

Venice, do Venice if you haven't been there. And, as suggested, do two full days. It is a spectacular city, and even if you end up not liking the place you will the ability to say you have seen it. I, however, can't imagine you not liking it. A very unique place in the world.

Another thought, on your San Gimi leg you might consider going on down to Certaldo, the old walled portion is pretty cool. There is Monteriggioni nearby as well.

Posted by
7175 posts

Perhaps Cinque Terre at the front end of your trip, flying into Pisa ...

Day 1 USA to Pisa (via London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam etc)
Day 2 Pisa to Cinque Terre
Day 3 Hiking Cinque Terre
Day 4 Cinque Terre to Agriturismo (halfway between Florence and Siena) picking up rental car in La Spezia
Day 5 Siena
Day 6 Montepulciano and surrounding area
Day 7 San Gimignano and Volterra
Day 8 Day trip to Lucca - rent bikes
Day 9 Depart Agriturismo for Florence returning rental car
Day 10 Florence (museums, etc)
Day 11 Florence (museums, etc)
Day 12 Depart Florence for USA or Venice (train travel Florence to Venice)
Day 13 option - Venice
Day 14 option - Venice
Day 15 option - Venice to USA

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you all! I hadn't considered Pisa as a fly-in, but with the Cinque Terre option more accessible, that is a great way to tweak our itinerary. It seems Venice is no longer an "option" but a necessity! Thank you again.

Posted by
180 posts

We did a faster version of your trip last year, but we started in Venice. Two places we loved for meals -La Taverna di San Giuseppe in Siena (reservation a must).. the food and atmosphere were amazing (the ricotta gnocchi are like little clouds of heaven). We had a 3 course meal with wine for less than $100. Another favorite was in a tiny town in between Florence and Siena (the drive just getting there was incredible) - Ristorante Malborghetto in Lecchi in Chianti (Gaiole in Chianti). I still dream of their picci pasta in tomato and garlic sauce.. perfection!

Posted by
15602 posts

I would start in Venice. It's going to be difficult and/or expensive if you fly home from Venice and can only get an early morning flight. Also, if you fly into Florence you have to choose between two poor options - stay a night in Florence (another hotel change) or drive a rental car when you're zonked (which is equivalent to drunk driving). On the other hand, Venice is a great way to start a trip. You can relax and soak up the atmosphere while you get over jetlag and get your bearings back. Watch the city slip by from a seat on the vaporetto, wander the back canals, people-watch from a cafe while you sip a cappuccino or a glass of wine or an Aperol spritz. I would not start in the Cinque Terre, where you'll want to be very active, enjoying the hiking trails and the scenic views.