Please sign in to post.

Turin

Hi, flying Frankfurt to Turin (Dolomiti) but a loss for lodging and city tours or tours in the area?
Help appreciated.
MDi =- Texas

Posted by
11159 posts

Perhaps you need to use the Italian name of Torino vs Turin when searching?

Posted by
2047 posts

Look at Turin Palace Hotel and the Starhotel. Both are near the train station and convenient for walking into the city center.

Posted by
11329 posts

What do you like to do? Why did you choose Turin/Torino? It is in Piemonte (Piedmont) not the Dolomites/Dolomiti.

Please tell us more about your trip, budget, time of year and we can help.

Posted by
11159 posts

Is Dolomiti your airline’s name or the area of the Dolomites you refer to?

Posted by
16294 posts

I am pretty sure they mean Air Dolomiti. The airline has 3 direct flights a day between Frankfurt and Turin.

Posted by
32 posts

Yes, Dolomiti Airlines. Trip is mid-July. I'm looking at Airb&b. Will do the free walking tour, cinema museum, Shroud Shrine, a trip to Sagra di San Michel, beautiful scenery, Alps, etc. Torino seems to be overlooked by the Lake District and by Milan, but I believe it has much to offer away from the more touristic places. Any tips are welcomed. Thanks, everyone!
Martie

Posted by
3046 posts

We are going to Torino 09-21 - 09-26 for the Salon du Gusto - food/wine festival. We too noted that it is not much on the tourist map. RS Italy has nothing about Torino.

Posted by
865 posts

A wonderful day trip from Torino is Sacra di San Michele. Part of the "magic line of San Michele".

Posted by
1388 posts

We spent 16 nights in Piemonte, 4 of them in Torino. There was plenty to do --- we especially enjoyed the Egyptian museum, my husband went to the opera, there were many good restaurants, and I liked seeing the paintings in the Galleria Sabauda. We visited a food market called Antica Tettoia dell'Orologio di Porta Palazzo.

But the big surprise favorite thing we did was to go to the car museum --- I don't even remember why we went there since neither of us is interested in cars at all. It's just a wonderful museum and hardly anybody else was there in November. The variety of really old cars was cool, there were vintage films about cars (for instance about cars in WWII), displays of cars in particular situations (like, a car from maybe the sixties being used to go on a picnic including all the vintage items such as a truly frightening baby's carseat), sculptures made from car parts and even whole rooms where all the furnishings were very creatively made from car parts. There was a fullsize car made out of small toy cars. There were model cars made out of bakery and other food items. A car made into a dishwasher. You go to the top of the museum and then walk down through it on a spiral walkway, so you don't miss anything the way you do when a museum is in a bunch of little random rooms.

We stayed in an airbnb apartment 3 blocks from the Egyptian museum and could walk to everything we wanted to see except the car museum which meant taking a bus. I would definitely recommend staying somewhere very central like that.

Posted by
7302 posts

We enjoyed our time in Torino and happened to be there at the same time as the MITO (Milan/Torino) Music Festival. Besides the festival with a wonderful finale at Piazza San Carlo, we went during the day out to the Basilica Superga, the Palazzo Reale (one of the rooms has the best & most colorful displays of horse & body armor!), and the elevator up the Mole.

I just found my trip report entry for Torino: Torino: We really enjoyed our two days in Torino & left wishing for two more days! Our hotel, TownHouse 70, close to Palazzo Reale, was modern with a gigantic room & bathroom, friendly staff, and huge selection for breakfast. We visited the Palazzo Reale, took the bus & funicular up to Superga, took the glass elevator up for the views on top of the Mole Antonelliana, & saw so much beautiful architecture. A highlight was finding out the month before that Milan & Torino were hosting an all-day free choir concert event (Torino the day we arrived) in the city's churches & sites with a grand finale Sing-along of 1000+ people singing together in Piazza San Carlo. We sang several Italian songs in 4-part harmony ~patriotic, sacred, silly, opera, and they added “Yesterday” by the Beatles for “the tourists” – great memories of a fun event with the locals! Summary: great city with lots of royal history & beautiful buildings, amazing food, and an inexpensive city for hotel & meals.

Posted by
15023 posts

The Auto museum was fantastic. Once of the bests I've ever been to.