Please sign in to post.

Turin?

Planning a trip to Northern Italy in late May. What did you like about Turin? We are art and history buffs, so that is where we focus our attention. Thanks

Posted by
8141 posts

Someone mentioned Turin as a destination thinking that it was a little off the beaten path for travelers. A surprising number of travelers have included it in their itineraries and really enjoyed it. It's really a short distance from Switzerland, and Lake Como is just 2 1/2 hours away by car. See Wikipedia.

Posted by
761 posts

I've been a big proponent of Turin in other posts. Here's what I've written:

Several have affirmed the Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile, which is fantastic. I would add the Museum of Cinema at Mole Antonelliana -- extremely well executed; quirky; fun -- a great museum. The first Eataly is in Turin, and I think worth a visit to explore and nosh a bit at some of the stations scattered about. As others have mentioned, the car museum and Eataly pair well together because of proximity. I liked the Egyptian Museum, but didn't love it. Still worth seeing though. We are returning this spring and have plans to seek out some of Turin's Art Nouveau (Stile Liberty), particularly Palazzo della Vittoria, as well as the Galleria Subalpina.

As for daytrips, Umberto Ecco's The Name of the Rose was inspired by Sacra Di San Michele, an easy day trip.

If you haven't seen the Turin episode of Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy (Piedmont, S2 E2), definitely watch it before you go. The chocolate drink already mentioned features in it, as well as other Turin highlights.

AND...

ANYWAY, you asked about Turin. Last time we were there we stayed in the Lingotto neighborhood. It is quieter and definitely not as picturesque, but we liked it. Don't roll your eyes, but the Eataly there (the first and original) is fantastic, and not (completely) a tourist destination. It is also close to the Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile, one of the two museums I mentioned as among the best I've ever seen, as well as the famous Fiat factory. We are returning to Turin in May and this time we're looking a smidge closer to the center at the San Salvario neighborhood. Mostly it is just better Airbnb stock and nothing to do with Lingotto (we stayed at a hotel last time), and honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are on the Turin Metro Line, which I think you'll find useful. I do think for month-long stays there's something to be said for not being right in the thick of things...

Posted by
15003 posts

Sadly, many people following RS skip Turin because Rick doesn't mention it in his guidebooks.

Turin is an interesting place full of history and art, technology and good food. A short walk from Eataly is the National Auto Museum. Not surprising as Turin is the home of Fiat. One of the best auto museums I have visited. Well laid out and mostly in chronological order from the early vehicles to those of today.

While there try the local drink specialty....Bicerin

Posted by
7282 posts

We enjoyed a couple of days in Torino on our Italy/France itinerary.

Since you like art & history, I’ll recommend going through the royal palace museum. I especially enjoyed their armor section with the room of colorful displays. Next door, the Palazzo Madama would have been on our list, but it was closed the day we were available.

We also took a city bus & then the ground funicular up to see the Superga.

Posted by
761 posts

@Jean -- Somehow I'd missed Palazzo Madama in my research. It looks so interesting! Now added to the spring itinerary...thank you! Also looking forward to seeing the Porta Palatina nearby. At least from pictures, it reminds me a bit of the Porta Nigra in Trier, Germany, although Turin's is a couple centuries older.

Posted by
699 posts

Following for our Torino visit spring 2024.

pollocktoni (OP)-if you like chocolate and espresso the Bicerin looks like it could be addicting! I can hardly wait.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for this post and all the great info. We will be in Turin (Piedmont wine tour) in early May and are very excited to go. It definitely seems overlooked, so I’m glad to hear first hand experiences.

Posted by
15165 posts

“Sadly many people following RS skip….because Rick doesn’t mention it in his guidebooks”.

That is a good thing.

I wish he had never mentioned the Cinque Terre or Montepulciano either. I remember both places in the 1970s and early 1980s. Few or no tourists and very low prices.