Please sign in to post.

Turin

My husband and I will be traveling to Turin from Dec. 16-20. Aside from the Egyptian Museum, the Automobile Museum and the Savoy Residences, what other sites have people found worth visiting? We are currently living in Athens for the year and enjoy cold weather, so we're up for anything. On the gastronomic side, can anyone recommend any good yet affordable (less that 20 Euro per person) places that serve Piedmont cuisine? Also, we're considering buying the Chocopass card that entitles you to chocolate tastings in cafes in Turin. Has anyone found this worthwhile? Finally, one of the days we'd like to take a day trip, either to Milan or to one of the smaller wine towns like Alba, perhaps to do some wine tasting. Given the winter season, would it be more enjoyable to do one over the other?

Posted by
2186 posts

We enjoyed the Giardino del Castello (Palazzo Castello) and also going up in the Mole! My favorite restaurant was L'Acino, Via San Domenico 2/A, 011-52-17-077. Very small - be sure to reserve. Pastas, appetizers, desserts were all about 8-9 euros each. My husband loved Dai Saletta, Via Belfiore 37, 011-668-78-67. It's a little more old-fashioned (the motto on their business card is "The joy of rediscovering the genuine cooking of past times" (my translation - pehaps not exact!). Also reserve here (open from 8:00 p.m.). Then ring the bell when you get there - they keep the door locked. We went there twice, both on week nights, and both times they had huge family parties (20+ people) going on. Another excursion you might enjoy is Eataly at Lingotto. I had been to the New York Eataly but wanted to take my husband, even though I wasn't sure he would enjoy it as much as I had. He did!