Please sign in to post.

TSA question?

Do I need to remove the cell phone covers before placing the phones in the TSA bin?
Thanks

Posted by
1215 posts

I suggest that you put your cell phone IN something - a pouch, a purse, even your shoes, or UNDER something non-metallic, like a sweater or hat. Makes it harder for someone else to snatch and grab if you are perchance held up in the screening line, or selected for further pat down, etc.

Posted by
1662 posts

My experiences, I was told by TSA (within the last year) I did not need to take out my phones or Kindles at Logan Airport. I did keep them in the front pocket of my carry on just in case.

Policy can change any given day, so it is good to keep them handy if you are asked to show them. And, yes, definitely keep an eye on your electronics and carry on.

Posted by
15900 posts

Put your phone inside your carry on bag or backpack before putting through the metal detector. Don’t leave your phone out. It makes it easier to steal if you are held up for additional body search.

Phones can stay inside bags. No need to pull out separately.

The iPad must be passed through separate (like a computer), but can be inside an iPad protective case.

If you happen to get a boarding pass with preTSA checkmark, you can go to the faster preTSA line and then the iPad can stay in the carryon bag like the phone.