Please sign in to post.

Trip to Pompeii

We are travelling to Italy in October. We will be going from Rome to Positano by train. If we stop in Pompeii on our way will there be somewhere to store our luggage or is it better to come back one day from Positano? It seems to be on the way but we will all have a large bag Any suggestions would be appreciated. We really don't want to waste any time and we don't want to skip Pompeii.

Posted by
7209 posts

You do realize the train doesn't go to Positano, right?

FREE luggage check right after the ticket booth at the Pompei Scavi site.

Posted by
7327 posts

Positano is beautiful, but supremely poorly located for daytrips other than to Capri. Don't underestimate how much time you will want to spend at Pompeii. Baggage check at Pompeii is widely used by many visitors.

Posted by
109 posts

No I wasn't aware the train doesn't go to Positana. Where would you suggest we stay?

Posted by
11337 posts

Sorrento is an easy place to stay and see both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. How many nights weere you planning and what did you plan to do while in Positano and environs?

FYI - You get to Positano by taking the train from Naples to Sorrento (which passes by Pompeii), and then transferring to a bus. Rick Steves' guidebook has all the details. Do you have it?

Posted by
109 posts

No I don't have it. Were
planning to go to a cooking class in Ravello and Capri (Blue Grotto). Stopping at Pompeii on our way. Should we be staying at Sorento?

Posted by
906 posts

Sounds like Sorento is the place for you. Positano is difficult as they say, no trains, only boats, buses, and cars (and I don't recommend car there). The easiest way to Ravello is by a hired car (costly) but it is a wonderful town. Seems like a funny place to take a class instead of sight seeing. Also, don't underestimate the time it will take to see the Blue Grotto. You get on a boat and wait in line in the little boat for a long time before it is your turn to enter the grotto (depending no the number of tourists). And, you have the time it takes to get to Capri. Go, but be ready to the time it takes.

I suggest a day trip back to Pompeii and take in Herculaneum at the same time.

Posted by
109 posts

That is good advice. Thank you. We will also sight see in Ravello but they offer a wonderful class as well. I will keep in mind the trip to Blue Grotto. We only have four days and don't want to waste anytime. Any other suggestions of things to see? This is our first trip to Amalfi Coast.

Posted by
11337 posts

Do pick up the Rick Steves' Guide to Italy! So much good advice you can reference enroute. No one covers transportation better and it can be a confusing area. Do yourself a favor and shell out $20 to buy it.

Posted by
2455 posts

Shelly, Mamma Agata's cooking class in Ravello is famous, with uniformly excellent reviews. Ravello is also a beautiful small town with some fine sites, gardens, views and even ceramics studios. So, it will be worth spending a long day. Public transportation to Ravello can be tricky. You need to take a 30-minute bus ride up hill from Amalfi, and should there be a long line, you may not get on that bus, but need to wait for the next. That will be true in both directions. I don't believe you can buy a ticket or reserve a seat in advance, but maybe others here have more information about that. To get to Amalfi from Sorrento, Positano or other places, you will need to take another bus or boat. Arranging a private car would be pricey. You might arrange a ride to Ravello in the morning before your class, then take public transportation to return. Or, you might want to spend the night before your class in Ravello, doing any sightseeing the afternoon and evening when you arrive. You will need to think this through.

Posted by
109 posts

I will buy the book.

Thank you for the info that helps a lot. I booked the trip awhile ago and am just now working on the logistics part. I clearly didn't realized just how complex it is to get around. I will get busy sorting through all of this now and I think we will get a ride to Ravello as we already have hotels booked. Thanks for the feedback on Mama Agata. We have heard a lot of great things about the school as well.

Posted by
3941 posts

If you like walks/hikes, you can do the walk from Ravello down to Atrani (which is only a few minutes walk from Amalfi). I think it generally takes 45 min or so, but when I did it last year (with my 66 yr old mom and my hubby) it took about us 60-75 min, as we stopped a few times to cool down (it was early Sept and hot...). The views were gorgeous. And take a half hour to check out Atrani (this is the little village we stayed in last year).

If you decide to do it, make sure you bring a bottle of water. We stupidly went during the hottest part of the afternoon as we spent longer exploring Ravello than we thought (I'm sure Oct will be cooler). If you have leg/knee issues, you may want to skip it as it is hard on the knees. When I got to the bottom, my legs were literally trembling - and that's the first time I can ever think that that has happened.

Posted by
4105 posts

Please also keep in mind the ferries do not run between the towns in rough seas.

Here is the Capri schedule http://www.capri.com/en/ferry-schedule?from=positano&to=capri.

October is usually the end of the season for ferries. (Not Capri)

The suggested hike to Atrani is beautiful! Try to do it.

If the ferries aren't running you may need to use the bus.

http://www.theamalficoast.net/orari_sita_bus_timetables.html

If you can't allow 3-4 hours for Pompeii, I would use Herculaneum as the alternative.

Edit:

The way to reach Positano from Rome.

Roma Termini>Napoli Centrale 1H20m. Go Downstairs in Centrale to the Garbaldi station.

This is the Circumvesuvian.

http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/NA-SO%20con%20Poz.pdf

Take this to Pompeii Villa Mestri Scavi stop. 42 min. Check your luggage...

The left luggage is in the station or at the entrance of Pompeii. If you need a guide, hire one of the many,

just inside the gate.

From here you would hop back on the Circumvesuvian to Sorrento. Then take the bus to Positano.

The other option is to take this shuttle from Napoli Centrale directly to Positano.

http://www.positanoshuttle.com/positano-shuttle-bus-booking-page/ more expensive but worth it.

Posted by
109 posts

Thank you so much. That is most helpful!