Please sign in to post.

Trip insurance

Hate to have to ask this- leaving 9/30 for Italy for two weeks with my adult daughter - my mom fell and had surgery for a broken hip 4 days ago and not recovering as we had hoped. Can anyone recommend good trip insurance? We have made our own travel arrangements- not sure if it is too close to the trip dates to purchase insurance/if anyone has had similar experience? Thank you.

Posted by
11154 posts

What type of insurance re you looking for? Medical coverage to cover further treatment while on the trip? If so, be sure to check the 'pre-existing' conditions coverage.

If you are looking for insurance to pay for your non refundable trip expenses because you have to cancel the trip you are out of luck. You cannot buy insurance after the injury/accident occurs.

Posted by
3517 posts

Trip insurance usually has to be bought within a certain number of days from when you pay for your travel arrangements. If you go past that window, insurance may not be possible.

What are you trying to insure? Any future accidents or situations preventing anyone else from going? You will not find anyone willing to give you insurance for your mom for this trip since she has had surgery and is not able to travel. The time to have bought that insurance was before the accident.

Posted by
238 posts

I ALWAYS buy travel insurance as soon as I book a trip because you just never know - ideally, purchased within a couple of weeks of booking the trip will offer you the most coverage and flexibility.

As for booking at this late a date - there are plenty of insurance companies that will sell you a policy up to the day before departure - the down side is that you won't be eligible for all coverage - Cancel for Any Reason being a big one, which in this case, will most likely be applicable. Other factors will also come into play - being Hurricane Season could be an issue. You are probably too late to be covered for that and if you are flying out of a southern state when a storm is brewing in the Caribbean and try to cancel, insurance companies may think you are trying to game the system even though its due to your mother. In other words, you could be denied

I would check sites like Insuremytrip.com and SquareMouth.com for policies and then speak to someone on those sites about your situation to see if you can find something that might work for you

Posted by
110 posts

We've used Travelex twice . We have never needed to make a claim but you can get insurance anytime up to your trip . You have to get insurance in advance (maybe 21 days) to cover pre-existing medical conditions. They offer different packages: just travel, travel and medical, upgraded medical coverage, they offer different levels of coverage depending on your needs. Very reasonable pricing. Again, I haven't had to use them but they have good reviews.

Posted by
4 posts

I guess my post wasn’t clear - not trying to get insurance for my mother- just trying to cover the non-refundable portions of my trip in the event my mother does not recover and my daughter and I have to return home. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by
6013 posts

Your mother’s surgery will be considered a pre-existing condition at this point so getting insurance to cover your cancellation or early return due to her condition/recovery is probably not likely

Guess it can’t hurt to call a few insurers and see if any can help

Wishing your mom well and a speedy recovery

Posted by
117 posts

I would look at your CC you used to book the various components of your reservations - you might have some coverage there.

I suspect you are going to be ineligible for coverage for your mother’s situation but you could get it for other reasons (like evacuation, etc).. For the policies that I looked at, those with inclusions for “Cancel for any reason and pre- existing medical conditions” would need to be booked within 10 or 14 days of making the first payment on the trip. I’d call TravelEx (my carrier) and see what they could do in this situation.

Good luck, and I’m sorry your mom isn’t doing well.

Posted by
2114 posts

Chappy,
Call Travel Guard (trip insurance). You will find an 800 number on its web site. Ask the question you have asked here. You may very well be able to still buy insurance (possibly) for certain circumstances (like gawd-forbid, the death of your mother). But, ask if you are the primary care giver and she does not recover from a circumstance that has already happened (if she gets worse), would trip insurance cover that? You MIGHT have to do a "cancel for any reason" rider on the policy (more expensive).

But, ask the travel insurance company (being honest with them about when you booked your trip, when your mother fell, etc. and make it clear she is not traveling with you.....you are looking for coverage just in case you need to return home IF she gets worse, etc.

The travel insurance company(ies) will be able to answer your question much better than any of us on this site. We can guess, but we cannot give real answers. Let us know what you find out.

Hope your mom recovers comfortably.

Posted by
238 posts

Your mother’s surgery will be considered a pre-existing condition

Not quite as Im assuming the mother is not going on the trip - sounds like OP wants insurance in case she and her daughter have to cancel their trip in the event mom takes a turn for the worse.

What would have worked in this situation is a Cancel for Any Reason policy but that would have had to have been purchased within a couple of weeks after the trip was initially booked. As I posted earlier, they will have to speak to someone to see what options are available to them at this late date

JMHO and YMMV

Posted by
2427 posts

I am so sorry about your mother. That is so, so hard. I have been through this myself. Is there a possibility that you can change your airline reservations to a later date? There might be a change fee but it is better than losing the whole ticket. Contact the airline. Is it too late to cancel your hotel reservations? If you are doing a tour, can you ask the tour company to change your tour dates? Explain to the airlines, etc. that there are extenuating circumstances for the change and it’s not on a whim. I wish you luck and that your mom makes a full recovery.

Posted by
6013 posts

Chappy-
You’ll no doubt need or want to make a decision soon whether you go or cancel/reschedule.
Mary has given you the best advice. What can be changed or refunded now? Is that a possibility?
Even if you lose some $$, it would buy you peace of mind. Well, I know that’s personal but it would for me. We have aging parents as well.