Please sign in to post.

Trieste recommendations

We are planning a visit to Trieste for four nights the first week in Oct. (we are now in Slovenia). Not knowing anything about Trieste we would like recommendations on areas within the city to stay. We do not have a car and plan to arrive by bus from Ljubljana and depart by train/bus to Venice. Thank you

Posted by
2487 posts

I had once a most pleasant stay in the Hotel alla Posta on the Piazza Oberdan, at walking distance both from the railway station (with the adjacent bus station) and the historical centre.

Posted by
4157 posts

Yes, not sure it warrants 4 nights, but who I am to say, we are planning 12 days in Dublin. Let us know how it goes as we pass through Trieste often and have only stayed the day.

Posted by
2088 posts

We used the Lonely Planet Italy book which has a section on Trieste. We enjoyed the city. We were there for 3 nights and had a very leisurely time. I have fond memories of wonderful inexpensive appertivo and gelato in the main square.

Posted by
3262 posts

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel All’Arco and loved it. Good sized modern rooms, reasonably priced, excellent location, wonderful staff, good breakfast. Treat yourself to an excellent dinner at Hostaria Malcanton. Start off with the seafood risotto. No, Trieste does not have those huge, important museums or sites but it affords a wonderful, relaxing experience and four days is good to roam the city and waterfront as well as some sites out of the city.

The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the bus station at Trieste Centrale or you can get the bus across the street from the station.

Posted by
5254 posts

If other hotels are booked, I stayed at the Hotel San Giusto, a Best Western property. I think it is used more as a business hotel, located about 2km from the waterfront and train station. But a pleasant enough place and moderately priced.

The Risiera di San Sabba was a holding camp and is worth an hour visit if you like WWII history.

Posted by
5687 posts

I also was not a big fan of Trieste - when I visited a few years ago, I spent only one night; two nights would have been plenty. It is certainly worth a visit, but I might spend two more nights in Slovenia instead.

Only recently I stumbled upon the book "Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere" by Jan Morris - an old book from 2001, but it was still an interesting overview of the history of Trieste - I would certainly have appreciated the place a little more had I read the book first. It's not a long book; consider trying to read it (e.g. the e-book version) if you have time before getting to Trieste.

Posted by
250 posts

Thanks for the replies.

We bought the book "Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere". Thank you for the tip.
Trieste is an intermediary stop for us between two weeks in Slovenia and 2 months in Siena. So we don't mind the leisurely pace. We will take a side bus trip to Prian while we are there.