Please sign in to post.

Trieste?

We were thinking about spending a day in Trieste coming from Florence on the way to Ljubljana and were wondering if this place is worth a visit? What is there to see and do? Is it somewhat like a smaller Venice? Thanks!

Posted by
15144 posts

Are you driving? I've been to Trieste a couple of times a long while ago, but the only thing I really care to remember is the Castello di Miramare and its gardens. However it's just outside town. If you drive it's worth a stop. Piazza dell'Unita' was also nice. there is a Canal Grande but I wouldn't compare Trieste to Venice. Don't remember much else about Trieste.

Posted by
118 posts

There are not many cities in the world comparable to Venice, however, Trieste worth a visit, is a city with an old Habsburg soul and with a Central European atmosphere and then there are wonderful cafes. I've been there once and I would like to go back.

Posted by
389 posts

I'll agree that the highlight is Miramare castle, residence of the Archduke Maximilian before he left to become the Emperor of Mexico. It's a couple miles outside of town- I took a local bus. Other than that the city is not particularly memorable. Worth a stop for a few hours though.

Posted by
11294 posts

Here are two New York Times article about Trieste, from 2011: link 1 and link 2. It certainly sounds interesting, and has a different history from Venice.

Posted by
2169 posts

Mark Bittman, in a 2007 NY Times article, said: "Among experienced travelers, Trieste is widely considered a town barely worth visiting. I don't get it." (He goes on to talk about food, of course.)