Please sign in to post.

Trevi Fountain

I heard on 60 minutes a few weeks ago that Trevi Fountain is to undergo some repairs and would be closed for a few months. Not knowing when the story was taped I am trying to find out if anyone has been there lately and has any up to date information. I am taking my sister with me this time and as she has never been to Italy this is one site she was hoping to see. Thank you for any help you can give me. Dean from Oregon

Yep my friend was there a few days ago and it is still under construction. Everything is bordered up and you can't really see much.

Posted by
4152 posts

The fountain is not under construction. It's being restored. This restoration is due to go through the end of the fall. You can still see the fountain and they've constructed a walkway that gets you up close to the statues but no water is flowing.

Donna

Posted by
635 posts

they've constructed a walkway that gets you up close to the statues

I was there last month and the walkway was as Donna described, open only from 10 am to 8 pm. Scaffolding was still covering about half of the façade, leaving only the center section visible.

From the webcam picture today, though, it appears that the temporary walkway has been removed, and most of the façade scaffolding is gone. The lower statuary is still obscured by scaffolding, platforms and equipment, and there is still no water in the pool. The site can be viewed through the glass barricade around the perimeter at street level.

Signs warn visitors not to throw coins into the empty fountain, but a washtub-sized pool of water has been thoughtfully provided at the barricade for those who must follow the tradition.

Posted by
506 posts

We were just there in May, and it was interesting for us to get up close. But that said we have seen it three other times and it is not the same thing as seeing it with water flowing and at night. Our friends had never seen it and I could tell they could not get the impact of it. It doesn't look like it will be ready for a while. I think I had read November, but they have a lot of work to do. Every time we go to Italy something big is under renovation. Just the way it is with such historical sights.

Posted by
136 posts

I was there a few weeks ago. They do have, at the front of the plexiglass, a small tank of water (larger than a bucket but smaller than a kiddie pool) for people to toss their coins into. The sculptures at the back of it are quite visible and nice to view. Despite the construction, it still draws a sizable crowd. Also, I agree with the suggestion to view it during the day. Hope this is helpful and enjoy your trip!

Posted by
4 posts

I want to thank all who answer my call. I was looking forward to my sister see it in working order but hey those is always a next time. Thanks

Posted by
1633 posts

Between the crowds and the walls obstructing my view, I couldn't see a thing. But that's okay, I was there several years ago.