Please sign in to post.

trenitalia website

Is it helpful to buy train tickets between Milan and Florence and Florence and Rome on the Tenitalia website before our trip? I tried to "register" on the website today, but the website had an "error" in processing the registration. There is an option to buy tickets without registering. Both tickets are 38 Euros. Is that a good price for those train tickets? Thank you.

Posted by
6898 posts

First, it depends on when you are traveling. You didn't indicate. The ordinary base fare for Milan/Florence is 50Euro. Florence/Rome is 43Euro. This the fare that you can pay now or pay when you get to Italy. Same base fare. However, if you choose to accept a more limited ticket and be locked into a specific train run on a specific day at a specific time, you can find great economy and super economy fares right now. Your choice. As for registering, I strongly recommend that you work out your errors and get registered on the site before purchasing tickets. Registered travelers seem to get the email with a ticket that you can print out. This ticket has a 6-digit PNR number on it. We've had several reports of travelers not registering and instead receiving a document with a "retrieval code" on it an not the PNR code. It's really a hassle to get your PNR number from this document if you are unlucky enough to only get the retreieval code. One poster a couple of days ago had to call Trenitalia in Italy to get his PNR number. Please register.

Posted by
198 posts

Hi Kathy, When we traveled from Rome to Naples in May, we bought train tickets online from the Trenitalia site -- $38 Euros for both -- great price. I think we purchased the tickets back in March. I had a hard time registering and getting the site to work for me, but with persistence, it should work (hopefully!) The PNR code is essential to have. Also, if you want to make sure everything went through fine, you can call to find out, which is what I did. Best wishes and happy travels,
Ruth