Please sign in to post.

Trenitalia question

We’ve mostly done regional trains, and one trip using high speed trains to Florence. We booked supersaver tickets on line, but the found out it was a major headache to add the dog ticket to the reservation at a ticket window after the fact (took over an hour). We were told by the manager that we need to buy the people and dog ticket together at either a train station ticket window or from a travel agent. (Dog ticket can’t be purchased on line).

So here’s my question. Are we able to buy supersaver fares or other discounted fares from a train station ticket window in advance? Or are those fares on line only? Our station is a bus ride away, so just want to confirm before heading to station. I’m assuming a travel agent will charge a commission of some sort, also not sure how much, or if they have access to supersaver or discounted fares.

Thanks for feedback.

Posted by
3112 posts

Yes, you can buy discounted fares at a train station provided there are discounted fares still available. I've often purchased discounted Italo tickets at a train station in Italy, and I see exactly the same prices online and at the station. I would presume it's the same with Trenitalia, although I haven't purchased discounted Trenitalia tickets in Italy recently. Note that many discounted fares aren't available on the day of travel and so must be purchased at least one day in advance.

Posted by
1635 posts

Thanks. I’ll go to train station this next week for travel the end of August to insure we get discounted fares. Our dog’ ticket may cost more than ours as he travels at half fulll price fare.

One other question. For the trips to from Switzerland is it best to buy the only the Italy portion of the leg (from Trenitalia), and purchase Swiss leg as saver fares on the SBB app? (Dog tickets can be purchased on the Swiss train). Of course making sure we are on the same train.