Please sign in to post.

Trenitalia pass

Hi-
I am wondering if anyone has experience using the Trenitalia pass. I am thinking of buying the 3 day pass for our family including 2 teens who qualify for a discount rate. I am hesitant to book trains ahead of time because I don’t know exactly what times we will need due to flight delays, etc. Is it easy to book a train the day before, or on the day of , travel with this pass? My understanding is the Trenitalia pass includes reservations whereas the Europass does not. We are traveling round trip from Rome to Sorrento and another round trip Rome to Florence. Thank you for help!!

Posted by
19654 posts

I have not used it. Just be aware it will only get you as for as Napoli Centrale on the way to Sorrento. Naples to Sorrento is by a private railway, not part of Trenitalia, but not expensive and no reservations needed.

Posted by
8261 posts

This is what the Man in Seat 61 says about this pass. It may be helpful

The Trenitalia Pass...
Trenitalia also sell their own railpass called the Trenitalia Pass, for anyone resident outside Italy.

Unlike Interrail & Eurail, it only covers Trenitalia high-speed, Intercity & sleeper trains, it doesn't cover regional trains. Also unlike Interrail & Eurail, you buy a specific number of journeys (3, 4, 7 or 10 trips), it doesn't give you unlimited travel. Adult, senior & youth versions are available, up to 2 children under 12 can be added to an adult pass for free.

You can buy the pass and activate it on any date you like within the next 11 months. The pass is emailed to you and can be printed out or shown on your phone. Reservations are still needed, but they are free and can be made online at Trenitalia.com or at stations.

The pass can save money over the fully-flexible Base fare even for a series of short hops such as Rome-Florence, Florence-Venice, Venice-Milan, especially if you are under 28 so qualify for the youth pass. However, if you find the cheapest advance-purchase fares available a few months in advance this can still work out cheaper, so check point to point prices online and compare with pass prices.

For more details, prices and to buy a pass, see www.trenitalia.com and look for Trenitalia Pass.

Posted by
3812 posts

Is it easy to book a train the day before, or on the day of , travel with this pass?

It's as easy as getting tickets on the day. Go on trenitalia.com, enter 25/06 as day of travel, an early time of departure and see how many trains you are going to take are sold out. If Any. Note that today is Saturday when all trains going from the big cities to the seaside are crowded with locals fleeing the summer heat. The perfect day for our "worst case scenario" experiment.

The Trenitalia pass does not include regional trains because they are cheap, offer no discounts and can't sell out.

Out of curiosity, did you check Italotreno's discounted fares on those routes? The e-mail vouchers any Friday in Summer.