Please sign in to post.

TRENITALIA: New Prices & Schedules for 2009 (starts today)

Just wanted to let everyone know that the routes, fares, and timetables have not changed. Routes are more expensive (for the most part) and faster (for the most part). We did Milano>Firenze today in 2 hours instead of almost 3 hours. Prices are on average higher by 4euros.

check trenitalia.com for new timetables, a lot of things have changed by a few minutes.

Posted by
242 posts

I am having a problem getting the English version to work. Is anyone else having the same problem or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Posted by
1158 posts

You also can enter the city name on Italian page, then cliick on English version again. It worked for me all the time.

Posted by
242 posts

After being able to navigate many countries' train sites, I am apparently hitting a wall trying to figure out train travel in Italy. I have figure out how to get English (thanks to everyone who replied), but once I get a time table I can't figure out how to see the price. It is easy enough if it a ticket you can buy on the internet, but how to I see the cost for a trip from say Milan to Venice? I am trying to determine whether to buy point to point tickets or an interail pass.

Thanks!

Posted by
4555 posts

Go to www.trenitalia.com, click on "english" at the top center, then enter your place of origin and destination, the date you want to travel (within 90 days of the date you try this), and the approximate time you want to leave. A list of the trains available will come up. Click on the little shopping cart beside the train you select, and another page comes up. It will ask you to select your fare (Flexi is the most flexible but the most expensive, Standard is as it suggests, and Amica gives you 20% off and can be purchased until midnight the day before the train leaves, if there are any Amica fares still left.) It will then show you the first and second class fares available for the fare category you have selected. If there is a "No" instead of a shopping cart, either you've gone too far into the future, or it's a regional train, tickets for which cannot be purchased over the internet.

Posted by
242 posts

So how can I find out prices for regional trains? I think this must be the problem since I would assume that tickets for early February would be for sale already?

On a side note, what is the standard release time for tickets (30 days, 60 days, 180 days)?

Thanks!