Please sign in to post.

trenitalia

I have a question about some fares. On some schedules - for example from Cornigila to Pisa on the 24 of June at 08:00 - the 08:14, 08:20, and the 09:40 departures can't be purchased until about 1 week before. The fares offered when you can buy are different than the fares that I usually see. I can't find an answer to what it means and if we can travel on those runs. Thanks for any help!

Posted by
805 posts

Check the train class. There are three main ones, Eurostar (also Eurostar alta Velocia, which is an express version of the Eurostar) is fastest, requires a reservation and is more expensive, Intercity Trains (IC) are medium speed and I think also tend to require a reservation, Regionale (R) trains are the slowest and usually can't be booked ahead of time.

Posted by
43 posts

They are regional. So its okay to ride them -perfect. The time and price are both good! Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

A couple of things. First, it's rare that Trentitalia permits the purchase of regionale train tickets on their website. I do see on the Trenitalia site that you can indeed purchase regionale train tickets. Second, when you purchase tickets on regionale trains, they are "open" tickets. No seat assignments permitted. All you will see on the ticket are Corniglia and Pisa along with the class and number of passengers. The ticket is good on ANY similar R train making that run for 60 days. Surprise, for June 24, you can buy the tickets now and they will be good on 6/24 because they are open tickets. You can take your pick of the R runs for the next 60 days. It's a bit like the MARTA in Atlanta. Buy your ticket, get on and pick your own seat. Third, you can easily buy these tickets once you reach Italy. I think Cornglia has a ticket office but if I recall, it's across the tracks. You have to go up and over the tracks and then down again. Fares on the R trains are much less than the Eurostar trains. And, for this run, the Eurostar, if available, would not get you there much faster. Fourth, if you really must have this ticket in advance, you can buy them online from www.italiarail.com for $12 each. Have fun.