Please sign in to post.

Travelling in Sicily

Our first experience of Sicily begins in a few weeks. I am considering where a rental car may be of benefit.
We are arriving in Palermo where we will spend a few days with a day trip to Cefalu by train.
Our next stop is Agrigento for one night. Is there any advantage to a car rental over the train for the trip between Palermo and Agrgento?
I plan to pick up a rental car in Agrigento and drive to Ragusa (1 night) and then Siracusa (2 nights).
After Siracusa, we can travel by train to Taormina for 2 nights and then back to Catania by train where we depart for Rome.
Is there an advantage to renting a car for the trip between Palermo and Agrigento or between Siracusa and Taormina?

Posted by
18 posts

Public transport isn’t great between Agrigento and the east coast, so you could definitely benefit from a car for this portion of the trip. As for between Palermo and Agrigento, there is a train that services that stretch so not essential, plus there is the hassle of picking up a car in Palermo city centre and driving out of there, so a car probably not needed.

Posted by
7024 posts

Busses may be more convenient than trains so don’t discount them.

I didn’t find driving in Sicily much different than in the states except the roads weren’t as well marked and the rural roads not always in good repair. Stay at or below the speed limit and watch for the no driving zones (ZTL) in towns. Palermo is very congested. If possible pick up the car rental away from the center city, but you don’t want to go back to the airport to pick one up since it’s in the opposite direction from where you want to go.

I find rental cars to be more convenient from the standpoint of not having to wait around train or bus stations for the next departure. A rental affords more flexibility if you decide to make a stop or two en route, but can be more expensive than a bus or train.

Posted by
1008 posts

"Personally I don't like driving on Sicliy's main arteries"

Since we'll be in Sicily in December and are considering a rental from Palermo to Agrigento and back, I'd appreciate knowing why you don't like driving there. Thank you.