Please sign in to post.

traveling by train

I will be traveling by train from Florence to Levanto. Will I need to change trains or is there a direct train to Levanto. I will be traveling in April.

Posted by
304 posts

We have traveled by train twice from Florence to the Cinque Terre (which is just south of Levanto). Both times we had to change trains in La Spezia. It has been no problem. It's a smallish train station. I doubt if you will find a direct train between the two cities. By the way Levanto is wonderful. We only daytripped there but it was beautiful with some good restaurants.

Posted by
32212 posts

Betty Ann,

There are a several different trains on that particular route, some with one change and some with two. The shortest travel time is 2H:33M, with one change in Pisa Centrale. Some change in La Spezia.

Check the Trenitalia website, in order to see the departure times of the various trains, travel times and whether reservations are required (if you're using P-P tickets, these will be included).

Happy travels!

Posted by
53 posts

Dear Betty Ann,

Check out the trenitalia website. That is your best resource. Both cities are on main lines. Even with a connection it will not be too difficult. In case you do not know, however, Italian trains are notorious for being late, so plan accordingly. Happy travels.

Will

Posted by
4152 posts

You won't be able to see train schedules for April yet. They are usually posted 2 months out. There is a schedule change coming on Dec. 12 so not much is posted beyond that. The best thing to do is to enter dates for next week to get an idea of schedules and prices. They dont change much so you can get an idea of the number of trains an hour, the time for the trip and the cost. You can start to get real information in February or so.

Donna