Please sign in to post.

traveler's checks

You mention that many of the eatings places in Italy are cash only. Does this mean we can use traveler's checks?? You don't mention travelers in either of the books that I have purchased for my up coming trip to Italy.
I'm studying your books very carefully and preparing to celebrate my 79th birthday in Rome.
Aileen

Posted by
1449 posts

Aileen, From your message I gather you might be thinking this is a place to correspond with Rick. But the responses here are not from Rick Steves or his company.

As it says at the bottom of the page if you click on the "Travelers Helpline" link above, "All posted responses are from the traveling public and are not supplied by Europe Through the Back Door staff members unless specifically noted."

Best wishes for your trip!

Posted by
4555 posts

Hello Aileen, and congratulations on your birthday trip! Just to let you know you have posted to a website where fellow travelers answer questions, not Rick himself.
However, when the book mentions cash, it means cash. Travelers checks just aren't used any more. They are very difficult to cash anywhere, and stores and restaurants really don't like dealing with them. You may want to take some as an emergency backup, but most people use their ATM cards to withdraw cash from bank machines...much easier and cheaper.
If you need to ask a question of Rick or his staff, you can click here to send them an e-mail.
Have a great trip!!

Posted by
1018 posts

Traveler's checks are not a good strategy any more. They are expensive to cash and VERY TIME CONSUMING. Use a bank ATM card and you will be then using a good strategy. ATM machines are everywhere and easy to use.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
1170 posts

You will be hard pressed to find anyone who will take a traveler's check in Italy. They want the real MOOLA, and prefer it over credit cards because of the fees involved. I always bring a relatively small supply of cash, around 500 dollars worth of Euros, and then supplement with trips to the ATM which will get you the best exchange rate. I also bring a second ATM card linked to a separate bank account just in case my primary ATM is lost, stolen, or eaten by a machine. If you use a credit card, Capital One doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. Always carry cash just in case the credit card doesn't work. Call your bank and credit card companies (security dept.) to let them know you will be traveling abroad.

Posted by
32213 posts

Aileen,

As the others have mentioned, Traveller's Cheques are an archaic relic of the past and not the best method to use these days. You'll probably find that many restaurants and other establishments won't even accept them. I agree with Rick on that point in that "I've cashed my last Traveller's Cheque".

Your best bet to obtain cash is via an ATM. In most cases your funds have to be in a chequing account with a four number PIN. I always travel with a "backup" ATM card as well, in case there are "technical issues" with the primary card (which happened on my trip to France last year). At least one credit card is also a good idea.

If you plan on using an ATM card, be sure to notify your Bank that you'll be travelling in Europe so they don't "freeze" your card when they see a difference in useage patterns.

Hope this has been some help.

Happy travels!

Posted by
2349 posts

I'm assuming, possibly incorrectly, that you may not use an ATM card here in the States. It makes a lot of older people nervous, that debit card. So go ahead and get one here, and practice with it. I find that some people feel that their whole account will be drained by using debit cards. You can always set up a separate checking account just for travel, and put your travel funds in that. Make sure that the bank does not "link" your accounts so that there are automatic transfers if you overdraw your travel account. Go into your bank and they'll talk you through all this. Do not get travelers checks!

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for all your help. I'll get right onto your suggestions.

Thanks again, Aileen

Posted by
12172 posts

I think John put it best. No one but banks will cash your travelers checks (even they don't seem to like them). You have to plan to get to a bank during business hours, which can be problematic when you're traveling.

Small businesses want cash because the credit card companies' fees are outrageous.

I don't bring cash but I get some at the ATM in the airport on arrival and keep a supply by using an ATM when I need to. ATMs are everywhere. Any debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo will work at virtually all of them.

As for fees. You get charged per transactions at an ATM. It's cheapest to do fewer ATM transactions for larger amounts. Even if you get free traveler's checks, you will still pay a currency exchange fee (the difference between the buy rate for Euros and the actual value). A debit card gives you the closest thing to a true exchange rate so it's more convenient and less expensive.

Posted by
316 posts

What a wonderful way to spend your birthday! The advice the other posters have given you is excellent. If you don't have a debit card, get one and use it before your trip. Check with your bank to see if there is a daily limit on the amount you can withdraw. If so, remember your withdrawal in Euros will be more than the dollar amount. My daughter paniced when she tried to withdraw 200 Euros and the atm denied her request. The she remembered she had a $200 daily withdrawal limit, put in a smaller amount and was able to get her cash. Have a wonderful time on your trip! The people on the board will help you if you need it.

Posted by
7737 posts

Most banks will also agree to raise your daily limit, which could come in handy. Whether you do that or not, be sure to call your bank and your credit card companies to let them know when you'll be in Italy - otherwise if foreign charges start appearing they might think someone has stolen your card info and is using it.