Please sign in to post.

Should we rent a car with kids? (edited title & post)

Hi
I edited this to reflect what I've determined is my real question: We are going to Rome (where we will not rent a car) and probably to the Sorrento area with 3 adults total, and 3 kids ages 7 and 10 year olds and 6 month old. We will bring infant carseat for baby. Olders are in boosters. Is it reasonable for us to rent a minivan when we head to Sorrento (3 adults and 3 kids?) or are there better ways to get around? Cost is a concern but convenience is a bigger need for us in our situation. Would it be simpler to rent a car and drive from Sorrento to Pompeii, say, versus trying to take the train? I'm imagining that we'd have to either request two taxis every time, or else make sure we get a taxi van of some sort, and that would make things complicated. And then it's car seats and boosters in and out etc. Could we drive around in the country with this crew? This entire trip seems a bit insane to me, but also so exciting. Husband and I have been to Italy twice on organized tours.

Posted by
15188 posts

Taxi and hired car with driver (noleggio con conducente), like a limo service, are not a problem. The law exempts babies on public taxis or hired cars with driver from having to sit on car seats or boosters, as long as the baby is sitting on the back seat and is accompanied by an adult (16 year old or older) also sitting next to him.
If you rent a car/van, you can rent seats or boosters from the rental company. You don't need to bring all that stuff from home. Also seats must be compliant with EU regulations.
Check with the following consolidators for car rental rates ( including accessories):
www.autoeurope.com
www.kemwel.com

The law requires different types of car seats and boosters, depending on the weight of the kid (expressed in kg). For example under a certain weight (18kg) you can use only car seats (not boosters) and under a certain weight (10kg) the baby car seat must be facing backward. Boosters are ok between 18kg and 36kg.

For the locations you are considering, you might want to consider using public transportation (trains) and private drivers with a van. A van is not necessarily a good idea to rent for the Amalfi coast, as the road is narrow and parking problematic. It will also be of no use to visit Pompeii or Capri, since cars aren't allowed in either.

Posted by
15819 posts

It's probably a personal preference but I'd just take the train. It's really easy from Sorrento to Pompeii, easy between Rome to Naples, and just a quick change in Naples to Sorrento. Parking in the Sorrentine/Amalfi area can be scarce and expensive, plus there's all those lovely ZTLs to work around...

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you! We would rather NOT rent a car, provided transportation is reasonably easy to obtain. :) Italian drivers scared us when we were on a tour bus so I can only imagine how it would be if I was actually driving! How about getting taxis large enough for all of us?

Posted by
15188 posts

There are plenty of taxi in Rome. However over 4 people will require a taxi minivan, which are also available, or two taxi. There is a supplement fee of €1 per person over 4 passengers on taxi minivans.
Private car with driver is also an option (for example try www.romecabs.com), they have minivans too. Consider however that while in Rome you will be walking for the most part, as distances are too short to warrant a taxi between the different monuments. Having a collapsible stroller for the 6mo old would be useful I think. A private car with driver from Rome to Sorrento would be expensive since its 3 hours away (about €350). The train would be cheaper, at least to Naples. Then from Naples to Sorrento you can take a private driver (about €90) or the commuter Circumvesuviana train (about €4 per person).
The Sorrento/Amalfi coast/Capri portion would probably be the most challenging with small kids as you need to get on and off several means of transport (trains or buses or boats). Also I don't think it would be easy to navigate the ruins in Pompeii, even with a stroller which would be very difficult to use on those ancient Roman roads with all those rocks. For sure it's going to be a workout for you.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you. We will at least have 3 adults to share baby-carrying :) I'm taking a baby carrier backpack thingy to use when a stroller is impractical. We were also thinking about one of those private tours to Amalfi. I know we couldn't keep up with the pace of a group tour.