Please sign in to post.

Best way to get from airport to hotel in Venice

What is the best way to get from the Marco Airport to the Pensione Guerrato Hotel in Venice? Should we take a ferry taxi? Thanks!

Posted by
1825 posts

Take the bus from the airport to Venice and then the Vaporetto to Rialto Mercato (which is right next to the hotel). Get the vaporetto pass for the length of your stay because it makes it really easy to get around. There are two bus companies and the buses run very often so reservations and tickets are not an issue. For two people this is the easiest and most economical solution.

Posted by
20264 posts

Get the vaporetto pass for the length of your stay because it makes it really easy to get around.

If you do get vaporetto passes, you can add on either a one-way or RT for the airport bus at a reduced price when you buy it at the airport.

Posted by
33 posts

Do we pick up the bus at the airport? And get the ticket for the Vaporetto at the airport, as well? Thanks for your help!

Posted by
20264 posts

Yes, you can buy bus and vaporetto passes at the Venezia Unica desk in the airport terminal after you exit the luggage carousels. Buses go from the traffic island just outside the airport door

Posted by
4904 posts

At the airport you can get the Vap. pass with the addition of a one or two way bus pass. I believe you can order online, be sent (or emailed) a voucher, and swap it for the pass at the airport. Perhaps someone who has done this can offer some comments. At any rate, it might be a good idea since we've occasionally had problems with their credit card readers. Yes, you do pick up the bus at the airport -- they are very easy to find -- really can't miss the pick up area. We've sent you a PM with some details for a short cut to your hotel.

Posted by
72 posts

what date on you arriving at Venice airport? We are doing the same and wanted to share a water taxi into St Marks Sq. It's like taking a private tour into town.

Posted by
10261 posts

Yes, what day and time do you arrive. We arrive at the Venice airport on May 2nd at 1:40 p.m. and are staying at Pension Guerrato. With enough people, a water taxi would be fun. TC, can you share the short cut directions? We stayed there for 2 nights over 5 years ago. I'll probably recognize where I am when I get off the vaparetto, but maybe not.

Posted by
33 posts

We are going in November, otherwise it would have been fun to meet up. Thanks, everyone, for chiming in.

Posted by
3 posts

This is great info- we are arriving Venice Marco early May and are staying at Hilton Stucky Molino - can anyone slightly modify the directions below to get to our hotel? I know it's across the water from the main part of Venice. Thank you!

Posted by
20264 posts

Julsinlv,

Start a new topic so we don't pester lauriemurph.

Posted by
180 posts

We took the Alilaguna to our hotel instead of the bus.. it's more expensive, but there's just something about coming into Venice on a boat :)

Posted by
3941 posts

My .02 - make sure you are standing at the right stop for the bus. I don't know what we did when we flew into Venice but we weren't paying attention to the stop we were standing at at the airport, and kept waiting and waiting (a good 30 min), watching the other bus come a few times...before we realized we were standing at the wrong pickup spot...sigh. So just watch which spot you wait at - I think we just misread the sign.

We just take the bus - we've flown into Venice once and out twice on different occasions, and always just use the bus - but we also travel light (each with one carry on size only) - if you are lugging large/multiple bags, you may be better off doing the Alilaguna as it can be (not always, but it can be if busy) a PITA trying to get large bags on the vaporetto and trying to stay out of the way of the crowds of people.

Posted by
80 posts

Hi everyone..

Great info, but where does the bus leave you after leaving the airport?

Robert in Montreal

Posted by
4904 posts

The # 5 bus from the airport takes one to Piazzale Roma.

Posted by
20264 posts

Just a few steps from the vaporetto docks where the boats will take you pretty much anywhere in Venice that has boat-bus service.

Posted by
492 posts

If a water taxi (~110 euro) is out of the question, I would take a land bus to Piazzale Roma and then a vaporetto line #1 and get off at Rialto Mercato. The hotel is a short walk from this stop, no bridges. I believe the Alilaguna (Orange line) stops on the other side of the Rialto Bridge which means a trek over the bridge with your luggage.