Please sign in to post.

Travel to Tuscany

We are traveling in September from Toronto to join a tour in Tuscany so the starting point would be Florence. Would it be best to book a non-stop Air Canada flight to Rome and then take a high-speed train to Florence OR take a connecting flight (also Air Canada) that connects with another airline in Munich or Zurich to Florence. We haven’t traveled in so long and are stressing about delayed flights, lost luggage and the logistics of it all.

Also, how much time should be allowed for connecting flights as there are several choices from 1 hour and up.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by
4326 posts

It's really a personal preference. I take a direct flight when I can, and there are even some trains that go to Florence direct from Rome airport (maybe one per day, but even if you have to change, it's a simple routing), but I have no problem taking a connecting flight when it serves my needs--and budget--better. September should not be be terrible for bags and such.
If you go with the connecting flight, book it all through one airline, and they will give you a "legal" connection time that they consider reasonable for you to make the second flight. Zurich and Munich are both great airports to transit through.