Please sign in to post.

Travel to Rapollo Italy May 2012

I am starting to plan a trip to Rapollo next spring and would like to know if it's worth renting a car for the week in Rapollo? We plan to do a lot of hiking in Cinque Terre. Plans are to fly into Milan and I think we can take a train from Milan to Rapollo. Is bus service frequent to/from Rapollo/Cique Terre? Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi Patricia. I think almost everybody on this site would agree that your next step should be to get the Rick Steves Italy book; it will answer those questions and hundreds more. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
405 posts

There is probably more than one option for public transit from Rapallo (not Rapollo) to CT. There is a public ferry system (might not run too frequently in spring), but also probably a bus. There is definitely a train from Milan to Rapallo. If you like, check out the trenitalia website: www.trenitalia website Having just been to Rapallo in July, I would advise to not rent a car, especially if going to CT; no worries about parking, then having to backtrack back to the car.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you for responses. I am a member of RCI and our week stay in Rapallo will be at resort Portofino Est Residence Via Pietrafredda 1 Localita Le Logge di San Michele Rapallo, (GE) 16035 Italy
Any comments or experiences with this resort? So far, I have read dated posts that have nothing positive to say about the resort. We only plan to use resort as home base for exploring the area for a week, so I am not expecting much; however, any insights will be appreciated. I understand Rapallo itself is a gem and of course we are anxious to explore and hike CT. I will get Rick Steve's Italy book, but any suggestions about our week visit are welcome. From Rapallo we plan to travel to Lake Como. Thank you!

Posted by
405 posts

Since you still have time, you might consider looking for accommodation somewhere more centrally located in Santa Margherita Ligure or Rapallo. The resort address you give might be located outside Portofino which might be harder to reach by public transit and make it a bit more complicated to take ferries between cities (since you would first need to make your way to the dock in Portofino). Portofino itself is much smaller and expensive than other towns in the area. Parking is very limited in the centre of towns like SML (another reason not to rent a car). I have read comments about cars not being allowed to enter towns in the area due to lack of parking, especially on weekends.