Please sign in to post.

Travel to Italy in October

cancelled April trip to Portugal and Italy- trying to get credit/refund from Lufthansa. Everything else has been fine as I had free cancellation on car, hotels, and was very gratified to get refund back from Firenze card folks.
Question... Do you think it is wise to even think about trying to rebook trip for an mid-October time? Florence, Montepulciano, and Cortona are bulk of trip in Italy. I know no one has a crystal ball, but the opinions of the wise and well traveled people on this site always help me.

To all be safe, and hope we can all get going again soon

Mike
DC

Posted by
5017 posts

Do you think it is wise to even think about trying to rebook trip for an mid-October time?

Nope. Maybe October 2021. MAYBE.

Nobody really knows. If you want to see our future, take a look at China - they are still dealing with it after 3+ months, and they have, lets just say, a more firm grip on managing their citizens than we do. Here, we can't even get people to stop going out and congregating. In China, they literally locked people in their homes, stopped people from coming and going on the streets. And after 3+ months of that, they are just starting to see some loosening up now, and only in limited ways in some places. Given the difficulty of getting people to behave here (some are pushing to send everyone back to work next week...), I think October would be pretty optimistic. Time will tell.

Posted by
323 posts

Nope, too early. I would wait 3 more months to even consider making a decision. They are in the midst of their pandemic and we haven’t even started. (And we have 4 times as many people).

Even if other countries are open, they may not accept citizens from certain countries.

Too many moving parts. I think in 3 months you’ll have a better idea. Then you still have 3 months after that if things are still iffy to decide.

Posted by
1064 posts

Plus, Italian Tourist and Hospitality Industry will need some time to get their ducks in a row. Some will have gone out of business or will need time to rehire, retrain, repair, etc. etc. For example, here in the Seattle Metro area many restaurants say that their future is iffy. Most are offering pickup and delivery to survive the lock down.

Posted by
568 posts

Do you have to make your reservations now? I wouldn't make any reservations now, but you can certainly take a "wait and see" approach about an October trip. That is what we are doing regarding our trip to France that we were supposed to take in April. We, too, are hoping to re-book for October, but we won't make any new reservations now.

I have read that this virus could come in waves: it could slow down during the summer, and then increase in the fall, but no one knows for sure.

The reckless college students on spring break are not helping the situation. And I think it would be dangerous for people to return to work next week when we are at the height, or approaching the height, of this pandemic in the U.S. If that does happen, more people will become infected; more people will be hospitalized; and more people will die. So that could affect things negatively for this summer and fall, as well.

Of course just my opinion - but I think almost anytime this year is way too early. We cancelled our trip to Italy and a cruise about 3 weeks ago now. I will not be planning anything else until there is a vaccination. I know that will be quite a ways out but I see this thing going on as peaks and valleys between present and a vaccination. I don’t want to be caught somewhere in a valley.

Posted by
323 posts

Bren...good point about the vaccine. Our trip is in September and I’m not cancelling yet, hoping that Delta will waive change fees if it’s a no-go. I will have to schedule a new trip with them by January 17 (I’ll have to look, but I hope it’s a year from original date of reservation).

I was wondering if I should do May (which I prefer as I’m itching to go), or postpone until September 2021. But your comment about a vaccine makes me think better later than earlier.

Posted by
20565 posts

It is wait and see. We are still booked for Italy in October. Lots of time to say no.

Posted by
1400 posts

We too have a trip to Croatia and Paris in the planning stages. We have a B&B and car booked. We also have a deposit on a small ship cruise. No airfare yet. We are holding off until we get closer to September to decide.

Posted by
12 posts

Am booked on an Italy tour in October. Three days on our own plus a 13 day tour. Anybody's guess on whether it will happen or not. Will wait to see if the tour company (Tauck) cancels or not. Wonder how long it will take Italy to get back on its feet. It is scary to see what they have endured.

Posted by
1156 posts

You ask if you should rebook for mid October. My advice, take it or leave it is no. Until they have a vaccine for the public that works I say no, I would not book a trip. This is not going away until they can get a handle on it. And although this is not the flu, this may turn out to be seasonal or all year long. And it may be in full force in the fall as the flu is full force starting in Oct. Remember we start getting our flu shots in October. That said, this is a virus that they are still trying to figure out and are working hard in containing it and finding a vaccine that works. So no, as much as I too am having to cancel my trip this year and all my friends cancelled their trips and I hate seeing the world being torn apart by this, I don't think now is the time to go on vacation.

I hope 2021 will be a great travel year but 2020 will need to be worked out.

Posted by
169 posts

Thank everyone for their great perspectives and advice-stay safe

Mike
DC

Posted by
32 posts

Mike, Italy was one of the first countries affected by the covid19. Following the China trend, maybe On October it will be possible to make your trip

Posted by
173 posts

I think many of us are worried about our late Summer/Fall trips. Since this virus is a SARS variant it will most likely fall off during the summer months. However, there is a chance that it will cycle back up again in the Fall and Winter months. Just watch the CDC guidelines and make your decision closer to the time of departure.

Posted by
52 posts

We were supposed to be in Europe right now for 3 weeks, a big chunk in Italy. Canceled obviously. But we rebooked our flight for Sept 13-Oct 3. Will rebook if necessary but we figured it was worth a shot.

Posted by
53 posts

Our trip to Florence and Tuscany was canceled for the end of this month as well. We'd like to go in October but, were going to wait to put any money down. My husband keeps reminding me that Florence will still be there when we're ready.