Please sign in to post.

Travel to Italy in March

Hi,
I am planning to travel to Italy between March 9-18 th 2012 along with my wife and two childrn, 17 and 14 years old, during their spring break. Just Wondering about the weather. Would like to visit Rome, Florence and Venice and Milan if time permits. Any info about the weather?

Posted by
64 posts

There are a number of international weather web sites that give you historical weather data for major cities of the world. Get the average for a number of years and hope for the best. Good luck

Posted by
7737 posts

And be sure to try the cioccolato caldo (hot chocolate) that you can get in any cafe bar.

Posted by
504 posts

I don't think you can predict what the weather will be. I was in Rome in March 2003, and the weather was absolutely beautiful! sunny and fairly warm. We ate outside at Alla Rampa, and had a picnic at Pompeii. Then we were in Tuscany in March 2007 and it snowed! We had a great time both trips. Take layers so you are prepared for whatever the weather is.

Posted by
672 posts

We traveled to Florence, Tuscany (full day trip), and Milan last Spring Break (March 5-12, 2011) and the weather was blue sky-sunny and high 40s to 50 degrees F almost every day. We had expected cooler temps and some rain, but fortunately had very little of each, so absolutely no complaints. Of course, that was last year, so I would suggest that you check weather.com or a similar site as your departure date approaches. Best wishes for a pleasant trip weather-wise.

Posted by
359 posts

Check www.weather.com for average temperatures of each of the cities and then realize the temperatures can be completely different than the averages it could be unseasonably warm or colder than usual The weather is a bit of an unknown check forecasts before you pack and pack accordingly
with the amount of days you have I would suggest you focus on Rome-Florence and Venice. Milan has some great sights but you don't have much time for the big 3.

Posted by
8170 posts

"Would like to visit Rome, Florence and Venice and Milan if time permits." With a day on front end to recover from the flight, and a day on back end to get to the airport, you probably need to limit your trip to two of the four locations. I would suggest flying into Pisa and taking a 1 hour train into Florence. Stay 3 nights, and take a train into Rome (2 hr. trip) You could also take a bus down to Sienna for a day trip. Or, take a wine tasting tour of Chianti. Have a good trip!

Posted by
396 posts

I was in Italy the last two years in March and April. It was spring-like and mild. Last year it did not rain one day of our two weeks there...and usually they get rain during that time of year.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Karren. That news was really a big releif. We just hope for the best weatherwise.
sudarsan kamisetty