Please sign in to post.

Travel to Florence

We're just starting plans for our next (12th) trip to Italy. Our plans start in Florence, a stay in Tuscany, then Lucca and finally Venice. We'll fly from Dulles on United as we have umpteen thousand United Miles for tickets/upgrades. So, what works better; flying nonstop to Rome, Leonardo Express to Termini and a train to SMN, or fly nonstop to Frankfurt then fly to Florence. Having never taken the Frankfurt route before, we're wondering if it's more convenient or more hassle!

Posted by
2950 posts

Flying nonstop to Rome of course. There’s a direct train from Fiumicino Aeroporto departing at 13:53 to SMN (2h 30m). If arriving sooner you’ll need to transfer at Termini.

Posted by
181 posts

Personally, as long as the layover is sufficient, I would fly directly into Florence. Less of a hassle navigating trains while jet lagged.

Posted by
23267 posts

It is just a function of schedule. Both work. Just depends on time. Also you would go through immigration in Frankfurt on option 1 and in Rome for second choice. Most likely you will take the LE to Termini and change train to Florence. Less hauling of luggage if you flew to Florence.

Posted by
15168 posts

You can’t fly directly from Dulles (IAD) to Florence because the Florence airport (FLR) handles only European flights. The options with a United award ticket (I’m also a UA frequent flyer flying often to FLR) are 2:
1. Fly on stop from IAD to Rome Fiumicino (FCO) then take the train.
2. Fly with United to Florence via Frankfurt, or Munich, or Zurich, or Lisbon, or Copenhagen, or Brussels. The last leg of the trip would be operated by a United partner part of the Star Alliance (like Lufthansa, AirDolomiti, Swiss, which are part of the Lufthansa group).

I’ve used my mileage Plus award from San Francisco to Florence a couple of times only, via Frankfurt. Be aware that airlines reserve only a limited number of seats to-mileage award travelers therefore you need to reserve well in advance.

If you find a mileage award seat via one of those options I would fly into Florence, and save myself the hassle of train travel after a long flight. Frankfurt, Munich, and Zurich offer the most daily flights to Florence, using a United partner (Lufthansa/Air Dolomiti/Swiss).