Please sign in to post.

Travel Question

Is it doable to leave a winery tour in Montalcino around 7 pm to then go to Florence via taxi and then to take a fast train to Rome to make it to our hotel? Can we check in late at most hotels? Thank you.

Posted by
6049 posts

You’ll have to check with your Rome hotel about late check in

Do you realize how far Montalcino is from Florence?
That taxi is going to be mighty expensive it’s about 140 km- I’d guess around 200+ euros taxi fare

Posted by
6049 posts

No train in Montalcino

You might want to look for a winery tour closer to Florence
Chianti region? outside Siena?

Posted by
8 posts

That’s another thing I have to figure out. Any recommendations on best way to travel to and from Montalcino?

Posted by
5384 posts

From Florence to Montalcino, it takes about 3 hours each way by public transportation. By car, it takes about two hours. Why would you even go back to Florence after the winery tour, as you will already be nearly halfway to Rome at the winery?

Posted by
8 posts

That’s why I’m on here haha. Somehow I’ll have to see about bringing luggage with me to the wine tour. Unless you know of any wine tours on Sunday or Monday in that region? I’m a big fan of the Brunellos. Is it easy to get from Montalcino to Rome with luggage? Thank you!

Posted by
6049 posts

No it is not easy to get from Montalcino to Rome
No train in Montalcino
Bus maybe? but spotty service with multiple changes

Have you looked at www.toursbyRoberto.com
He might offer something that works for you

But without a car you are probably going to have to find a tour closer to Florence

Posted by
11179 posts

If you do find a way to Montalcino, I would then look at continuing south to Orvieto ( taxi?) and taking the train from there to Rome.

Be sure to confirm your hotel has late check in.

By the time you get to somewhere to get a train to Rome the frequency that late is likely limited and getting to a hotel in Rome before midnight is slim.

Spend the night in Orvieto and take the train to Rome the next AM? Get a good night's rest and start fresh and early, vs a very late arrival and dragging yourself out of bed the next day.

Posted by
2321 posts

It just sounds to me like you're trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Winery tours are OK, I guess, but rather than do all that scurrying around, why not suss out a top drawer Enoteca in Florence and do a flight of Brunellos with them?