Please sign in to post.

Travel Medical Insurance

Do I need supplemental medical coverage for travel to Italy. My primary coverage is Medicare with an Aetna supplemental. I will be in Rome and Florence for 4/15-5/07/2-24.

Posted by
5138 posts

Medicare does not cover you if you are our of the country. Only Aetna can tell you what it will or will not cover. Suggest you research travel insurance as most of them do have medical coverage. Regardless, read the fine print with any and all insurance. The devil is always in the details.

Posted by
27609 posts

You need to check your Aetna policy to see whether it provides coverage outside the US and whether you're satisfied with the coverage.

In addition, many of us feel it is way too risky to travel overseas without evacuation coverage, because medical evacuation can cost over $100,000.

Posted by
11 posts

Yes, Medicare does not work in Europe, check with Aeta to see if they cover Europe, I bet they do not. My advice is to buy insurance! You can get an inexpensive policy to cover Medical, look on line . I use Allianz for my travels

Safe travels

Posted by
1020 posts

Some Medigap plans cover foreign emergency medical - it may be at 80% - I believe my AARP supplemental plan has a lifetime limit of $50,000. So check with Aetna. But you should still consider travel medical and especially for emergency evacuation,

Posted by
46 posts

It’s a good thing you’re going to Italy because tourists pay very little in the way of medical care in Italy. I’ve never purchased travel insurance or medical insurance for travel ex or for once and when I needed it it didn’t pay out.

Posted by
27609 posts

Medical evacuation is a mortgage-the-house experience if you don't have insurance to cover it. You're not likely to need it, but if you do... Even young, healthy people occasionally get into horrific traffic accidents and need long-term medical treatment or rehab.