Please sign in to post.

Travel Iten - Apr 2011: Rome, Florence, Venice

Hello,

We are planning a trip in Apr 2011 and needed some help with building out the iten.

We land in Rome, and have about 10 days and wanted to visit Rome, Venice, and Florence (maybe Cinque Terra for a day or Pisa).

Can someone recommend?
- suggested travel iten
- economical mode of traveling between cities - train or drive? Would prefer trains, but don't mind driving.
- If we do trains, what is the recommended type of pass & how many days?

Also, would you recommend returning out of Rome or Pisa or Venice?

Thanks!

Posted by
223 posts

With 10 days... I think adding much more than the big three might be over doing it. The train for this route is far more convenient and is more economical. Buying tickets there will be the simplest way to go and keeps a bit more flexibility. If you fly into Rome, flying out of Venice would seem to make sense and maximize your 10 days.

Posted by
1201 posts

If you have 9 nights then my suggestion would be:

Rome 3 nights
Florence 3 nights
Venice 3 nights

Fly out of Venice

If you have an extra night , then add to either Rome (lots of sites) or Florence if you want to take a day to do a daytrip to Pisa and/or Lucca

TRain, Train Train for all this.

Posted by
719 posts

What I am about to say will probably create firestorm, but it was my experience. First, though, since you are there in April, rooms will be abundantly available, so I would travel without reservations (I do this through May without problems). It will also help with what I'm about to say: Florence was a disappointment. I can't say why, since it has everything that I typically look for in a European city: Museums, Cuisine, Cathedrals... Just something didn't click with me. We arrived in Florence expecting to be enraptured, but we spent that day/night, then left for Venice the next afternoon, a day earlier than planned. While in italy, about 50% of the people that we talked to loved it, the other 50 hated it. Go figure. The purpose of this long winded response is to impress upon you that your destinations may not be what you expect them to be. Given the time of year, you can easily roll into a town, then find a room, and leave sooner or later if you choose. We started in Rome, wound through tuscany/umbria/CT to venice, then out. Be flexible, it will help your trip.

Posted by
7737 posts

I think you would be disappointed with the CT in April. Still too cool and rainy to really enjoy it.

Do the train, with point to point tickets, not a pass. More economical, less stressful and you might meet interesting people. Wait until you get there to buy the train tickets, as you need them. Those are major rail routes and no shortage of seats, especially in April.

Plan your itinerary in as straight a line as possible. Rome - Florence - Venice and depart from Venice.