Please sign in to post.

travel Italy

Would like to go to Italy in Sept. or Oct.2011 but not sure how to get started. Will be there a month Where best to start in the north or south. Would like to do the smaller towns Also Venice, Siena, Orvieto Any suggestions greatly appreciated What would be a must to see and how long to stay in each place thanks SB

Posted by
515 posts

RSteves put his shows on Hulu. You can watch them for free as much as you want, and get some ideas.

Posted by
32228 posts

Sharron, To begin with, it would help to know whether you've travelled in Europe before? If not, I'd suggest reading Europe Through The Back Door, as it provides lots of good information on "how" to travel, Itinerary planning, rail skills, etc. I'd also suggest picking up a copy of the Italy Guidebook, as it has lots of suggestions for touring, Hotels, restaurants, etc. One minor concern is that Sept./Oct. 2011 is not far off, so it would be a good idea to get some plans in place SOON. That's fall shoulder season, and it could be difficult to find vacancies. Using open jaw flights would be the best idea, perhaps starting in Milan or Venice and returning from Rome. I'd suggest starting in the north because: (a.) The weather will get cooler as your trip progresses. You'll be hopefully following warmer weather as you move south. (b.) The culture becomes a bit more "intense" as you move south, so beginning in the north may provide a more gentle introduction. It's difficult to suggest "must see" sites and "how long to stay", as your interests and preferences may differ from mine. Try to avoid one-night stops if possible, and allow at least 4-5 days for Rome, as there's so much to see. I'd allow 2-3 days for Venice and Florence and perhaps two for Orvieto (unless you're planning a day trip to Civita di Bagrnoregio). Are you planning to travel by train while there? If you have a PBS TV station in your area, check listings for "Travels in Europe" (unfortunately, KCTS doesn't have any scheduled for the next week or two). I assume you'll be flying out of Castlegar? Good luck with your planning!