Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Just wondering if it is worth the expense for cancellation insurance. We are traveling during hurricane season and we are renting a farm house for two weeks.

Posted by
23290 posts

For you probably a good idea as it could affect your departure and if you have a kit if no cancel reservations.

Posted by
646 posts

We don't travel without insurance. It doesn't cost that much. When you think of the expense you are going through to get to Europe, you don't want to take a chance with something going wrong and your losing everything.

Posted by
931 posts

John, we don't leave home without it. To keep the cost down we only buy enough insurance to cover the things that we have pre-paid; i.e. we don't spend any more for insurance than what we would loose if our trip was canceled or interrupted. We go to Squaremouth.com, and look at all of the plans that might suit our needs. They have a great option that allows you to pick a few, and line up their coverage options side-by-side. After we investigate the health care provided by our host country, rental care insurance, insurance provided by our VISA(baggage coverage, accident insurance, etc.), travel delay/interruption costs, etc. we pick a plan. Our needs always incude Medical evacuation, may include pre-existing conditions, could include extra life insurance, etc. For our two week trip to Spain this May, our travel insurance cost us less than $120; pretty cheap considering that it includes extra life insurance, $100K medical, $500K Med and $25 K non med evac, and the standard trip interruption/delay/ cancellation/missing baggage, etc., coverage.

Posted by
4407 posts

I ALWAYS buy trip insurance. A few years ago, we had purchased airline tickets MANY months in advance for a long trip to Europe. Not until the night before our trip did it dawn on me that maybe, just maybe, that hurricane that was sitting over Houston at that very moment might impact our San Francisco > HOUSTON > Paris flight...DOH! (smacks forehead) I'd been out of Texas for too long, I guess - delays and cancellations due to weather weren't even on my radar (no pun!) as we made travel arrangements here in Northern California where we have No weather...except rain for 6 months of the year. After much working the phones with the airline, we finally got the flight re-routed on a different airline, and lost NO time on our trip. We were incredibly lucky. Our original flight was a goner... Get the insurance! It shouldn't cost that much, esp. if you only want cancellation ins.