Please sign in to post.

Travel insurance

Does anyone have recommendations for a travel insurance company? Or companies to stay away from? I know companies offer different levels of coverage, so any advice along those lines would also be appreciated. I am traveling alone and do not plan on checking any luggage, plus I have medical insurance that covers foreign travel. I assume I would look for a plan that would cover reimbursement of the trip & airline costs. Any advice is appreciated!

Posted by
4434 posts

I use Travel Insured. You can get a "cancel for any reason" rider that covers 75% of airfare (plus I assume any prepaid accommodation costs).

Posted by
490 posts

I agree, Travel Insured world wide trip insurance worked for me when I had to cancel a trip last July, got my full airfare and full hotel ( non refundable no cancellation on a booking site) payments back very fast! I just needed a letter from work saying that my previously approved vacation was revoked due to staffing issues.

Posted by
1540 posts

Go to Squaremouth.com they list almost all the insurance companies and comparisons.

You can also search for Peter Greenberg's site - he also as a travel expert - recommends different types of insurance for different trips.

Posted by
4862 posts

We had to file one claim with Travel Guard and were well pleased with their response. Had to supply documentation, but nothing unreasonable. Got a check within two weeks of filing. On another note, most travel policies have medical evacuation coverage. But they USUALLY will only evacuate you to the nearest hospital than can treat you. There is a company named "Med Jet Assist" that has a number of different membership plans. It in NOT medical insurance -- just med evacuation coverage. As long as you are more than 150 miles from home, they will, if medically necessary, fly you back to your home hospital in a medical jet with medical personnel. Google them and see what you think.

Posted by
5836 posts

I've been using Travel Guard because it covers the activities I participate while traveling. Fortunately I have no claim experience.

The important thing in selecting a insurance company is reading their T&Cs, with special attention paid to the exclusions if you are doing more than just tourist stuff. For example, if you are doing a Dolomites Via Ferrata route, you will want to clarify with the insurance company whether their "mountaineering where ropes or guides are normally used" exclusion applies to clipping in to via ferrata cables. Or should you want to participate in paragliding in Italy, would the "air travel on any air-supported device" exclusion apply? Read the fine print talk to the if it isn't clear to you. And if you do need to make a claim, re-read the fine print on documentation and notification.

Posted by
545 posts

I've used Allianz travel insurance. They have different levels of coverage for international travel, which I like. Their website is easy to use to see what the price will be. The main coverage I think is important is for the price of the trip - air tickets, tour fees, etc. and medical evacuation. A lot depends on what countries you're going to, I think. Luckily, I haven't had to file a claim, so no info on that.

Posted by
8399 posts

I like to encourage people to double check if there is any travel insurance associated with the credit card they used to pay for the trip tickets or tour. It may be that you are already covered for the key issues that you have mentioned. A quick check of your credit card "perks" in this area may be enlightening.

Posted by
490 posts

WHichever company you choose, I highly recommend the " cancel for any reason" option...this is why I use Travel Insured..and I have had to cancel a trip so I have had the full experience. Hope you won't need to cancel yours! Enjoy!