Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Going to Italy in October for 2 weeks, want to buy travel insurance. Any recommendations? Want to cover flight and hotel.

Posted by
16333 posts

I just went on Insure My Trip.com and plugged in what we wanted. I think the plan I chose was from American Express or a partner of theirs. It was reasonably priced and good peace of mind when strikes in Spain and on British Airways threatened our trip (this was pre-2011 volcano). In the end we didn't need it, but I don't consider it wasted $$.

Posted by
687 posts

Do you also have medical and medical evacuation insurance? Much more important, in my view.

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks all. Went to insure my trip.com and bought the American Express Global Travel Shield. Thanks for all the help once again. Russ

Posted by
293 posts

I can't say enough wonderful things about American Express.We have them everytime we travel. I broke my ankle and foot a few years back in Italy and the insurance agents were wonderful.
Pat

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Russ, Sorry I did not see your note quick enough to tell you about the site I recently used. I recently bought a US Fire Gold policy on a new site: www.tripinsurance.com. They evidently have a special deal with 4 of the major travel insurance companies to sell policies direct at a considerable savings. I saved $123 off similar policies from quotes I got from three other comparison sites. Fairly easy to use too. Two things I discovered, that I liked about the site - first they list their insurance licenses, so I know I am buying from a legitimate source, and second - I can enter a claim right there on the site without having to figure out who to call or write to. Avoid buying your insurance from your cruise operator or carrier - if they go out of business, then you have a major problem collecting. If you use a third party insurance source you are much safer in case of bankruptcy.

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks for the heads up Christopher, very good information.

Posted by
1010 posts

As far as medical trip insurance, we have alwys been happy with American Express Travel Insurance. It is very reasonable. You just sign up for it about two weeks in advance of your trip. You pay by the month and you cancel it as soon as you return from your trip. It includes being flown home in case of an emergency also. Elaine