Please sign in to post.

Travel in Sicily

My wife and I are planning a week in Sicily next spring. In Italy we normally just use trains to get between towns. I'm wondering about Sicily however. Would it be better to rent a car to get around on the island given all the smaller towns. If we taking buses every it seems like it may be much slower. Does anyone have any experiencetraveling in Sicily.

Posted by
7050 posts

It really depends on which towns you want to visit and which are truly inaccessible. I found the public transit (buses and trains) to be very easy and inexpensive. The only caveat is that the schedules are not good on Sundays. Buses are not that much slower than cars since there is no traffic in-between the cities, and buses drive at the driving speed. Trains, on the other hand, can be slower but they are not subject to traffic (if any). I found the public transit to be quite stress free, but I would have no qualms renting a car either (but it will definitely be more expensive with the cost of gas and parking).

Sicily is quite big and has attractions spread out in every corner. If you can make your trip longer than a week (say 10+ days), then all the better. A week is not much on this island.

Posted by
27374 posts

If you want to visit the Baroque towns in SE Sicily (Ragusa, Noto, Modica, etc.), that's one place where a car would be helpful, because--even aside from the Sunday situation--it can be challenging to get to more than two towns in one day by bus/train, and accomplishing that may well consign you to a lunch eaten as you walk down the street.

I agree that a week for Sicily is a very short timeframe. I wouldn't do it.

Posted by
11613 posts

I am in Sicilia now, and am using public transportation for the most part (about 3.5 weeks, solo). Two friends and I are renting a car right now for 11 days.

In seven nights, I would concentrate on one area, perhaps have two bases and daytrip. For example, base in Siracusa and Taormina for the eastern part of the island. Or Palermo and Agrigento. Daytrip to other places from these bases, either by bus/car.

Posted by
7579 posts

We used a rental car on our 7-day trip at Christmastime in 2012. The roads were easy to navigate, and crowds and traffic didn't exist, except when arriving after sunset on a Friday night in Agrigento. So it's been 4 1/2 years, and Spring isn't Winter (says are longer, not sure about crowds), so your results might vary, but having our own wheels allowed us to travel on our own time schedule, driving from Palermo Airport counter-clockwise to Segesta, then Erice, then down to Agrigento, Piazza Armerina, Modica, then Taormia, with many places in between. Only in somewhat bigger cities did we ever have to look for a parking spot -- the only challenge with having the car. We ferried to mainland Italy after that week, so we didn't turn in the car where we picked it up.

Posted by
15655 posts

Figure out what your priorities are. Once you know which part of this large island you want to concentrate on, we can help you with an itinerary. I visited in late April-early May 3 years ago, and like Cyn, found the driving easy - except for traffic in Palermo and Catania (no problems in Syracuse).

Posted by
2 posts

i think all of you may be correct about the time there. i started listing all the sites we wanted to see and it seems daunting;
• Siracusa
o Fiume Ciane
o Piazza del Duomo
o Teatro Greco
• Ragusa
• Segesta
• Valley of Temples, Agrigento
• Cava Grande del Fiume Cassibile
• Palermo
o Duomo at Monreale
o Cappella Palatina in the Palazzo del Normanni
• Messina
• Savoca
• The Gole dell’Alacantara
• Piazza Armerina
• Erice
• Castello di Venere
• Castiglione di Sicilia
if i stretched it to 10 days, what would you recommend as things or areas not to miss.

Posted by
11613 posts

You have attractions mixed with cities on your list, try grouping them under city instead. Example: Palermo (Capella Palatino, Duomo [can't tell which Duomo you mean], Monreale...).

Castello di Venere is in Erice, which can be seen with Segesta in a long day of driving.

Why is Messina on your list?

Does Piazza Armerina include Villa Romana del Casale?

In ten days, I would choose three location bases.