Please sign in to post.

Travel in Northern Italy

Traveling first week of August only about 8 days total. Have to meet travel partner in Trevino, then we are off. Where would you recommend with 8 days, and probably stay in that Northern area? Would it be too cumbersome to travel to Cinque Terre and then also to Venice during such a short time? Figure we will be using the trains, not renting a car to get between places. First time visitors. Nothing is an absolute must, we think anything will be wonderful. I don't have a good sense of time and distance in regards to our travels in Italy so your experience will be appreciated.

Posted by
3098 posts

Where will you arrive? Personally I would avoid Venice in August. But Cinque Terre is great then, and maybe one of the lakes like Como or Garda?

Posted by
4 posts

Haven't chosen my arrival place yet, perhaps Milan or Florence, since it seems as if flying in right to Torino is more expensive. Thanks for the tips!

Posted by
4 posts

Hi. Your PM didn't come into my email. I even checked my spam. Maybe there is a delay of some sort with the servers. But if you wouldn't mind, go ahead and post here. Thanks!

Posted by
8135 posts

Do you by chance mean Treviso, Italy, which is just a short distance north of Venice? In the case, you'd need to fly into Venice.
You might want to get an Italian travel guide like one of Rick Steves' out of the library or at your local bookstore. They'll give you good information on how to travel in this incredible country. You can get to Cinque Terre from Venice by train, but there will be some train transfers to make.

Posted by
4 posts

No, I do mean Torino (or Turin). But Treviso is also a possibility to fly into.
Thanks! I had to clarify with someone first as well.

Posted by
11294 posts

Lee: PM's don't come to e-mail. When you sign in, next to your name it will say "Sign Out/My Profile (New Messages)" Click on My Profile, and you'll see the private messages.