Please sign in to post.

Travel from Siena to Rome

Would it be better to travel from Siena to Florence by bus and then take a train to Rome? Or would it be better to travel by train from Siena to Rome?

Posted by
811 posts

siena to rome by bus. no need to deal with train.

Posted by
32214 posts

Marissa, I prefer train on that route, but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference. There's often one change at Chiusi. If you decide to take the train, you'll need to take a Cab or Bus from your Hotel in Siena down to the station, which is at the bottom of the hill. I asked the Hotel to arrange one the night before I'd be travelling, and it was waiting out front at the appointed time. Very easy. If travelling by train, I'd probably purchase my rail ticket either before arrival in Siena, or the day prior to travel. I believe it's possible to purchase rail tickets somewhere in Siena (ie: at a location other than the station), but I'd have to check the Guidebook. Happy travels!

Posted by
4535 posts

All opinions, but the bus is my choice. They leave far more frequently than the train, do not require a transfer and are faster and cheaper. Plus the bus leaves from just outside the main old town, which is more convenient than the train station. Busses arrive in Rome at a bus station near a Metro line providing easy access to much of Rome.