Please sign in to post.

Travel from Rome to Sorrento October 2024

Four adults will be traveling from Rome to our hotel in Sorrento mid October 2024. What would be the best way to do this? One option looks to be the train from Rome to Naples and then get on a bus. Another is the train to Naples and then the ferry. I couldn’t get a sense for how expensive the ferry would be but it seems faster. Thank you.

Posted by
5409 posts

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/transportation-from-naples-to-sorrento-9ab4c19a-1b1c-4cbf-881d-dca3dfe3b30e

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=2y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=Rome+to+sorrento&utf8=%E2%9C%93

This is a frequent topic here. Check how long the ferries run in October. Transportation south of Naples is somewhat chaotic and inefficient and time-consuming.

Research the realities on the ground and then you all can have a great trip ! Safe travels.

Posted by
517 posts

We took a train to Naples and then private car to Sorrento for our family of 4, but it was preCovid

Posted by
6992 posts

I'd say the best way is fast train to Naples, then a private driver to Sorrento.
Split 4 ways makes it reasonable.
It was 100 euros in 2019.

We used
www.topexcursionsorrento.com
You can request a quote or check their set rates.

Train then ferry means a taxi (or 2) to the port. in Naples. Then taxi or elevator/walk to your lodgings in Sorrento..
I don't know about a bus.
Otherwise it's the Circumvesuviana or the Campania if schedule works

Driver is to the door.
This is one of those times that budgeting a bit more for transit costs is worth it.

Posted by
5409 posts

I agree with Christine- this is a problem you throw money at.
We used Aldo Limos and were happy with their service. Safe travels!

Posted by
4425 posts

We took the train to Naples and then the local metro train (Circumvesuviana line) to Sorrento. There are all kinds of opinions about that line, but it only costs €4 and takes about an hour. We had no issues and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you very much for your specific suggestions. I appreciate it and will discuss with my fellow travelers, some of whom are more intrepid than I.