Please sign in to post.

Travel from Rome to Sorrento

I'm planning a family trip in mid-April with 6 adults and luggage. We are arriving in Rome and visiting Sorrento to see the Amalfi Coast region. What is the best way to travel to Sorrento from Rome for 6 people and luggage? Train? Would a car service for 6 be crazy expensive? What if we go right from the airport (FCO) to Sorrento, is that a long trip to make after flying 8 hours overnight? TIA!

Posted by
6012 posts

Car service from FCO to Sorrento is probably in the 600-700 euro range, possibly more because you’d need a van

You could train to Termini, then fast train to Naples
Have a driver pick you up at Napoli Centrale to take you to Sorrento

This topic comes up a lot, do a few searches here on forum for more specific info

Posted by
22 posts

@MaryPat, we could fly into Naples from Rome but that certainly adds cost for 6 and time for transfers as well. An option for sure.

@Christine, thank you. Sounds like a car service for 6 would be cost prohibitive and the train is the way to go.

Posted by
6012 posts

Michael
I am sure Mary Pat meant - can you fly to Naples from Boston?

Here is the car service we’ve used in the Sorrento/ Amalfi area, you can request a quote
With 6 splitting cost ( if that’s the case) it might be doable
https://www.topexcursionsorrento.com/

https://www.topexcursionsorrento.com/en/i/SX3F2

Estimate your train cost here:

https://www.trenitalia.com/content/tcom/en.html

You won’t want to purchase tix in advance because of uncertainty/non refundable so figure about 35 euros/person for the fast train to Naples
The Leonardo Express is 15 euros each
And then the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento is just a few euros
You may also need a cab or 2 from Sorrento station to your lodgings.

Also price driver just from Naples to Sorrento

The stations you want are
Roma Termini
Napoli Centrale

April is not loaded yet but use a similar day of week to see what will be offered-schedules don’t change much

Posted by
22 posts

Thank you @ChristineH! No direct flights from Boston to Naples so we'd have to connect in Rome.

Appreciate the tips on the trains. High speed will be the way to go for sure and will check the driver options around Naples/Sorrento.

Posted by
1046 posts

Train from FCO to Roma Termini is probably your best bet. Then take the Freccia line directly to Napoli Centrale. I suggest taking the Circumvesuviana train to downtown Sorrento rather than a long and expensive car service. The big question is where are you staying? It might be within walking distance. Taxi service in Sorrento is very expensive even for short runs. BUT Sorrento is so magnificent!!!!

Posted by
169 posts

The train from Naples to Sorrento Is a pretty rough ride imo, we just did it.

It’s basically what you picture a 90’s New York subway to be. Old, beat up cars, covered in graffiti etc.

For 6 people and luggage it’s gonna be a bit ugly l, especially if you catch it during rush hour. It’s basically a commuter train, old hard plastic seats, no luggage storage etc.

My wife and I only had 1 bag each so it wasn’t too bad but after a long day travelling from Venice - Rome - Napoli - Sorrento, that portion of the train was by far the low point of the trip lol

By the time you get to Pompeii tgough most of the traffic has gotten off, but that’s also like 15 stops to that point.

Seeing The amalfi coast however 1000000% either hire a private van or take a taxi. With 6 people it’s not worth lining up and taking he bus no matter how much you’re saving imo

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. We have an early check in option in Sorrento so I think we'll take the high speed train down to Naples and then look to get a car service to Sorrento for our gang of 6.

Posted by
6012 posts

Good plan!

Take a look at Mondo Guides
www.sharedtours.com

Their small group tours are really fun and affordable. Especially enjoyed our boat trip to Capri with them.

We loved Sorrento, will go back one day.

Posted by
2943 posts

Hi Michael, taking a train from Rome’s airport (Fiumicino) to Rome’s Termini station and transferring to Naples (Napoli) Centrale station takes 2h 15m. The Circumvesuviana train is downstairs at Napoli Centrale and would be the cheaper and easiest option to get to Sorrento that would take 1h 15m.
There are stories of people getting ripped off while riding the Circumvesuviana train when traveling with luggage so you could take a taxi from Napoli Centrale to the Molo Beverello port in Naples to Sorrento (45m), that’s what I did.

Posted by
2489 posts

I agree it is a good plan. I have learned the hard way that when traveling that it is often worth the splurge to make the last leg easier. You will be taken directly to your hotel and that alone is worth something, having spent too much time trying to locate a hotel jet lagged.

Posted by
15791 posts

I think we'll take the high speed train down to Naples and then look
to get a car service to Sorrento for our gang of 6.

I think it's a good plan too, especially with the number of people you're having to move around. That will make your journey just 3 legs (Airport to Termini (train), Termini to Napoli Centrale (train), and Napoli Centrale to your Sorrento hotel (van). The issue with taking the ferry is that it adds another two legs: Napoli Centrale to the port by cab or bus, and the port in Sorrento (Marina Piccola) up to your hotel (the port is below the main part of town) by cab, bus or public lift + walk, depending on where your hotel is.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks everyone. We've decided to stay in Rome for the first half of the week and when we arrive. Trying to make it down to Sorrento after flying 8 hours overnight and dragging through customs will make for too long of a travel day. So the high speed train from Rome to Naples and then car service to Sorento is the plan for our group of 6. Appreciate everyone's help and input!

Posted by
626 posts

PS, Oh well! I guess this info is good for your next trip! Hi Michael, I think what others were suggesting is an "open leg" ticket. Boston to Naples VIA Rome (FCO) and Rome (FCO) to Boston, all booked as one ticket. Most major airlines have this search function. Sometimes the price differential is insignificant compared to other alternatives. I assume you would go through IMMIGRATION in FCO & customs I believe would be in Naples. It risks a missed connection, maybe others have more experience with this route.

Posted by
27053 posts

That sort of ticket is usually called "multi-city" on airline websites.