Please sign in to post.

Travel from Rome to sorrento

I've been watching Steve's television shows for many years and loved all of them. I'm reading his book on Italy which is enjoyable and enlightening.
We will be visiting Rome and Sorrento in a couple of months. What is the best way to get to Sorrento from Rome. I don't see a direct train?

Posted by
23261 posts

Depends a little bit on what you mean by best way. I always prefer a driver and limo as the best but cannot afford that so will go with second or third best. There is a direct bus twice a day, I think, from Rome. The train is easy to use. Take a train to Naples and the Circumvesuviana to the last stop - Sorrento. The Circum... is basically a commuter train between Sorrento and Naples. Leaves from the lower level of the Naples train station.

Posted by
32201 posts

The "best way" will depend on your budget. Use the high speed Freccia train from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale, and from there transfer to the Circumvesuviana for the final leg to Sorrento.

As Frank mentioned, you could hire a car from Naples to Sorrento but for those on a more modest budget, travel by train is easy and inexpensive. The Circumvesuviana is not posh by any means, but will get you there. They have several lines, so be sure to board the one to Sorrento (it's the last stop on that line). Be sure to watch your luggage, as there may be pickpockets and scammers.

Posted by
16893 posts

Correct, there is no direct train, so you make the connection in Naples as described above. There are also ferries between Naples and Sorrento, but those aren't any more convenient. If you'll travel with Rick's Italy or Rome book, then see also the Naples chapter.