Please sign in to post.

travel from Naples to Sorrento

Does anyone have any preferences for travelling from Naples train station to Sorrento safely this summer?

Posted by
3112 posts

I've used the Circumvesuviana train multiple times and never experienced a situation I felt was unsafe. It's convenient (departs from under the Naples central train station and arrives in central Sorrento) and fairly inexpensive (about 4 Euro).

Posted by
240 posts

I took the train from Naples to Sorrento. No problems. I would suggest that you take a train from Naples to Amalfi. Sorrento is beautiful...but Amalfi is stunning! I also to the boat over to Capri. Don't miss this Island!! Enjoy your trip and try to stay cool. It will beVERY warm in the summer.

Posted by
3313 posts

Actually, to get to Amalfi, you have to take the bus from either Sorrento or Salerno.

Posted by
192 posts

The train to Sorrento from Naples is the way to go. I prefer to take a ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi. On the bus you really don't get to see much. On the ferry you get to see it all.

Posted by
94 posts

We just returned from Italy where we took the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento. It was cheap and we had no problems, but we were forewarned not only in Rick's books but by other Italians to really be on our guard against pickpockets and con artists. The "train" itself is pretty dilapidated and in sorry condition, but hey, it got us there !

Posted by
4 posts

The Circumvesuviana is the best way to get around the bay of Naples. It can often be crowded and can be hard to find a seat, especially during commuting hours. A technique my mates and I adopted when we had backpacks was to stand in the vestibule near the doors with our backs against the wall (not the doors :) This way no one can get into your bag. Watch for pickpockets and watch how the older ladies act. The last time I was there we watched a gypsy-dressed man with an accordion picking pockets. Wear a money belt and don't let people bump into you.