Please sign in to post.

Travel/Evacuation Insurance

Not a happy topic, but sometimes we have to deal with accidents. I'm traveling with mom, and considering travel/evacuation insurance. One carrier offers either $50,000 or 100,000 medical coverage, and $ 500,000 or $1M evacuation coverage. Any suggestions which I need in Italy and France to get mom quickly and safely to a hospital and cover her medical costs?

Posted by
1413 posts

there's been a couple of good threads on this called "travel insurance for older travelers" or something like that. I'm attaching one, here https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/budget-tips/travel-insurance-for-older-travelers

co worker of mine last year fell ill and had to leave her tour, her travel insurance covered hospitalization, a hotel room for her traveling companion /husband , and for the return flight home, upgraded her to first class with a doctors request. I'm not sure what level she was covered for, but she felt grateful

Posted by
1994 posts

While I can't tell you which option would be best for you, I do have a couple of comments.

First, it's important to look at exclusions. Many have pre-existing condition exclusions, and they can be triggered by something as minor as a doctor appointment to check on levels of a medication. However, a number of policies eliminate the pre-existing condition exclusion if you pay before or within a certain number of days after your first payment for anything on the trip.

Also, with most medical evacuation policies, it's important to realize that you won't be making the decision about whether she should be evacuated. That decision will be made by the insurance company. After I saw an insurance company require someone to have surgery in rural Egypt (a number of years ago), I have carried an evacuation policy that lets me or my family make the decision about whether I should be evacuated. I have a policy for Medjet Assist. I've never had to use it, although the company as well rated.

Posted by
5836 posts

http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/travel-insurance

For some travelers, insurance is a good deal; for others, it’s not.
What are the chances you’ll need it? How willing are you to take
risks? How much is peace of mind worth to you? Take these
considerations into account, understand your options, and make an
informed decision for your trip.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance

The business model is to collect more in premium and investment income
than is paid out in losses, and to also offer a competitive price
which consumers will accept. Profit can be reduced to a simple
equation: Profit = earned premium + investment income – incurred loss
– underwriting expenses.

Posted by
2207 posts

Travel Protection is a personal choice. When I was younger I rarely purchased Travel Protection... Now, especially when traveling with much younger or much older travelers in our group, we almost always buy some form of Travel Protection. I've seen (and worked with) too many people who DID NOT purchase Travel Protection and later wished they did.

You can shop for different options at a site like www.insuremytrip.com but do make sure you stay with a reputable company... and as mentioned... read the policy agreements thoroughly. Depending on the company and age of the traveler, you can often purchase medical coverage for under $100pp for your trip.

My personal travel-protection story: My uncle, traveling in Africa, suffered a life-threatening illness including a collapsed lung, He had to be flown in an air-ambulance to Switzerland... and then "repatriated" to the USA... Total medical cost: Well over $350,000. Thank goodness he had travel protection.

Posted by
3391 posts

Scott, you've posted this same question on multiple threads...it's best to post general question on the "General" thread at the top of the forum.
Just to add to all the good advice you've already received, I know 3 people who have had to be medically evacuated and it is expensive but not anywhere near the $500,000 - $1million range. These evacuations were all from either Mexico or remote Central America and it ranged from $24,000 - $35,000 to Los Angeles. So from Europe, even if it is double/triple that amount you wouldn't even come close to $500,000. Just to be on the safe side I would think that $100,000 would be more reasonable.

Posted by
29 posts

My wife and I are in our 40s and healthy, but I didn't think twice about dropping the $200 on that insurance. Basically $10 a day for that piece of mind is a steal.

BUY IT.