Please sign in to post.

Travel Agent Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a travel agent for flights and hotels to Italy? Many thanks!

Posted by
6132 posts

Google Flights
Booking.com
Rick Steves Italy guidebook
Do it yourself

Posted by
23301 posts

It might help if we knew where you live. Hard to read minds at a distance.

Posted by
3122 posts

To the do-it-yourself list provided by ChristineH, I would add Kayak.com.

To be honest, it's been so long since I used a travel agency that I'm not sure what they do nowadays. Is there a reason why you want to go through an agent instead of arranging your own trip? Here is a relatively recent (but pre-Covid) article about why people may choose to use a travel agent.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/reasons-to-use-a-travel-agent-3259812

Posted by
6310 posts

epltd, I enjoyed that thread. We have a friend whose wife has recently started her own business as a travel agent, and she ticks all those boxes. Should we ever aspire to her type of travel experience, we will definitely let her arrange a trip for us. And the cost is much less than I expected.

Posted by
49 posts

Both AAA (Auto Club) and Costco have travel service departments with agents.

Posted by
317 posts

Do you have an American Express card? They have fantastic travel services.

Posted by
871 posts

Search flights on skyscanner.com, your home airport to IT. For flights within Italy [Sicily or Sardinia] search IT to IT. For future reference your airport to “everywhere.” Any country to another. Google flights can’t do that.

No travel agent in the world can provide what you can learn here or on the best forum TripAdvisor.

For any country, region, city www.wikitravel.org

Posted by
765 posts

While I can't make any recommendations in particular at this time, I will say -- don't let the naysayers discourage you from seeking out the services of an experienced travel agent. If you don't want to, or can't for whatever reason, make your own arrangements, the travel agent is an excellent way to go. There have been some good recommendations here, and there are many more. Good travel agents have have the experience to find flight deals, make recommendations on accommodations, many have first hand experience, and some of them will link you up with past clients to chat with about their experiences. If you need to make changes, they handle it. For example, recently we had to cut short a trip to Sicily due to my mother's death, and under the circumstances, it was a relief to make one call and let her handle the rest -- flights, hotel reservations, excursions, tickets, drivers, everything. . Fussing with spotty internet and haggling to find the quickest way home was taken care of. For many people, it's nice to have the reassurance of an expert in your corner. There are plenty of people who enjoy making their own plans, and some who are reluctant to plunk down the fee (and not all agents charge, but it's been my experience that it's in the $50 range, ask around), but don't be embarrassed or reluctant to get help because of them.

Posted by
1705 posts

Do not book air tickets through an OTA (online travel agent) such as Expedia, Kayak or others. Use them to see possibilities, but book directly with the airline. Many travelers learned this lesson the hard way at the onset of the pandemic.