Please sign in to post.

Trastevere neighborhood in Rome

We will be staying in Trastevere in a few days and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for what to see and do there. We already have a hotel booked.

Posted by
2085 posts

Recommend venturing over to nearby Testaccio for excellent Roman restaurants. Many with few tourists. We are here now an love wandering around and discovering new places.

Posted by
8297 posts

Trastevere is a very good restaurant area. For anyone traveling to Rome, learn how to get around on the buses. It's a place that you can walk yourself to death in. And Trastevere is not exactly in the center of the city where so many tourist sights are.

Posted by
657 posts

Twilight, the far eastern section of Trastevere, near the high school and the arch, is often less crowded and can feel like the real deal.
Hope that you have a great trip.
I am done. The end.

Posted by
40 posts

I recently ate at Roma Sparita, delicious. Reservations strongly suggested. We both had Cacio e Pepe , which had come highly recommended and I also had grilled lamb. Very reasonably priced and the owner called us a taxi after dinner.

Posted by
889 posts

You might like the "Eating Italy" evening Trastevere walking food tour, would introduce you to the area & give you good ideas where to go back to eat. YUM, we've been on the Testaccio tour, it was excellent. One of the oldest churches in Rome, Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere (Italian: Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere) is really lovely inside, great frescos. And one of the hills of Rome is up above that area, can't recall name, we walked down into T for lunch... Enjoy!

Posted by
27608 posts

Santa Cecilia in Trastevere is also exceptionally lovely. It has a wonderful reclining statue of St. Cecilia, a 9th-century mosaic in the apse, and a stunning crypt full of frescoes and more mosaics. There's a fee for entering the crypt area. The link below (from 2022) says the hours are daily 10 AM to 12:30 PM and 4:30 to 6:30 PM. The day I stopped in, the crypt was going to close a bit earlier than that, at either 5:30 or 6 PM; I was there in February or March.

https://www.romeactually.com/santa-cecilia-in-trastevere-basilica/

The Porta Portese flea market in southern Trastevere is on Sunday till about 2 PM. I haven't been there and don't know whether it's fun or junky at this point.

The church of San Franesco a Ripa is just northwest of the flea market. The website details the art to be found there, which includes a Bernini statue. Church hours are 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM and 4 to 7:30 PM. Some sections of the church have different hours; refer to the website.

https://www.sanfrancescoaripa.it/

There are some very interesting sights right across the river from Trastevere:

• Santa Maria in Cosmedin with the Boca de Verita. Expect a line for the latter and a small fee; I was able to walk right into the church.
  • Two nearby temple ruins
  • The former Jewish ghetto, just beyond Isola Tiberina
  • The southern end of Via Giulia, an evocative, usually-quiet street
Posted by
22 posts

Thank you all very much for the helpful tips and suggestions. This forum is such a great resource!! Happy traveling!
TwilightRabbit