Steve doesn't sound too happy with this neighborhood, calling it "gritty". It sounds kind of cool to me, but I have never been to Italy before, so what do I know?
I am considering an apartment rental for 4 days in Trastevere. We are a casual 50-60's couple, traveling with our 26-yr old son and his girlfriend. We'd like to stay somewhere:
1. Affordable, but "nice" accomodations (meaning showers!)
2. More than one bedroom, if possible
3. Not too far from the major sites (walk or bus)
4. Nightlife for the "kids", who stay up late
5. A true Italian experience, with local cafes and shops.
I found what looks like a great place on "Homelidays" holiday rental website. Any comments from people that have either used this service, or who have stayed in Trastevere?