Please sign in to post.

transportation from Rome airport to hotel

We arrive in Rome around 3:30 pm and need to get to our airport near the Vatican. What are our options? We (my husband and I) will each have a suitcase and a smaller bag. We don't want to spend a fortune but not sure if we want to do a bunch of transfers on public transportation since we are unfamiliar with the city.
Thanks for your help

Posted by
99 posts

Taxis from the airport to anywhere in central Rome was 46 euros flat rate when we visited in Nov 2016. I found that a better deal than multiple public transport changes to get to ur hotel especially with luggage
Make sure you get a official taxi at the taxi stand with the commune di ​roma sticker on the side and not cheats masquerading as taxis who may fleece you.

Posted by
5252 posts

TravelingNana,
One option is to take the Leonardo Express train that travels directly from the airport to Roma Termini, then take a taxi to your hotel from there.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
23354 posts

If your apartment is near the Vatican, you will not save much taking the Leonard Express to Termini and then a taxi over the taxi from the airport. From Termini to the Vatican area you are going through the heart of Rome at rush hour. Not a good option. The taxi at a fixed rate is probably your best option. Another option would be taking the local train FM1 (I think) from the airport to the St. Peter's stop near the Vatican and then a taxi or it might be walkable from there.

Posted by
16444 posts

Note that the flat rate taxi is 48€. I agree with Frank that it may be less expensive than Leonardo Express plus taxi from Termini, and certainly more convenient. We faced a long queue for an official taxi at Termini---and lots of hustlers trying to divert us to an unofficial taxi.

Posted by
5252 posts

I stand corrected.... ;-)

I agree with Frank & Lola, a taxi from the airport to your hotel is the best option, especially since you may be exhausted and experiencing jet lag.

It's always nice to be dropped off right at the door of your hotel when arriving to a new city.

Posted by
213 posts

I agree that after along flight and coming to a new city a taxi is a good investment. However I always book a transfer with Suntransfers.com - they are very, very reliable, meet you at the luggage collection area, help you with your bags, arrive well dressed and driving a clean Mercedes usually. With a booked car you do not wait in the taxi line!
The cost is 45E and you can adjust pick up times if you need to.
I have used them in several cities and service is always excellent.