Please sign in to post.

Transportation from Palermo Airport to Cefalu?

Hi, what is the best way to travel from Palermo Airport to Cefalu - we're (just two people) planning to be there for 2 days before our trip starts.
I found four options:
1. shuttle from airport to Palermo center and a bus from there.
2. shuttle from airport to Palermo central train station and a train from there.
3. take a private car for about 120 Euros
4. pick up a rental car at the airport

Any recommendations? Since we will travel red eye to Palermo from the US with overlay in Milan for a few hours, we are trying to cut time and effort...

Posted by
7050 posts

Option 1 or 2. Option 4 is the worst of the four as you'll be tired, a car is not needed in Cefalu, you'll need to buy special insurance and get an international driving permit (IDP) beforehand, and the car will just sit there unused for 2 days.

Posted by
689 posts

If you want the most budget friendly go with Option 1 or 2. The bus station is right behind the train station in Palermo. I just got back from a three week trip all around Sicily and used buses and trains without problems, and prices are cheap. I did take the train from Cefalu to Palermo and then a local public bus into the city where our BnB was located. There are frequent buses and trains to Cefalu. If you will be tired out and want the easier choice, go with a driver. Look up Rosario Pizzuto at NCC Taxi Privato. I found him on Trip Advisor and we used him twice last month to drive us outside of Palermo for daytrips and were very satisfied with his services. He speaks some English, was jovial and friendly and always answered my emails promptly. He is a driver, not a guide, and I found his prices to be reasonable. Email him and get a price quote. He has very good reviews on TA, that is how I found him and why I contacted him. Also contact your hotel or BnB in Cefalu and ask if they have a driver they work with and see how much they charge. Cefalu is lovely, a great town for strolling around. Very picturesque. We stayed there two nights and enjoyed it very much.

Posted by
5260 posts

Jenny,
Another option is to take the train from the airport to Cefalù with a train change in Palermo Centrale.

The train station “Punta Raisi”, is located within Palermo Airport.

I took the bus shuttle from the Palermo airport to Palermo and visited Cefalù, via train, as a day trip. Cefalù’s cathedral is absolutely magnificent!

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
403 posts

You definitely do not want a car in Cefalú unless you wish to explore the immediate area. While this itself is well worthwhile (Particularly the Parco delle Madonie), if you only have two days, I'd just stay in the city.

I've been to Cefalú several times (although not for a few years now and there is almost no parking unless the grass parking lots are open on the seafront (and they normally shut at night in my experience). The roads can be very, very narrow and tricky to avoid scraping the walls on turns (this was a costly lesson for me).