Please sign in to post.

transportation from Florence to Siena

We have rented an apartment for one week, sept 1 - 8, and would like to do a day trip to Siena. There will be four of us, and we would like to stay late in Siena. Does anyone know when the last bus from Siena leaves, and from where? Thanks

Posted by
320 posts

Donna - just google SITA italian bus line. The SITA bus runs between Florence and Siena. If I remember correctly there is an express route on the Autostrada and a milk run along the S222 (the Chianti road).

The website is in Italian but it is easy to decipher the schedule.

Have fun.

Posted by
6898 posts

A SITA bus to Siena from Florence is much better than the train. Or, the reverse if you need to. Note, however, that the bus terminal to Siena is not the one next to the train station (track #16 side). Those are city buses. There's a second bus station one block away from the Track #1 side of the train station. It's not visible from the train station so you have to walk the block to bump into it. If you have a map, it's between via degli Orti Oricellari and Via dell Albero. It's about 40+ Euro for two for the hourly express to Siena. An alternative is the Grayline tour that's 102 Euro for two but includes a one hour stop at San Gimignano and 3 hours at Siena. The stop at Siena includes a tour (and admission to some sights). We would have like to spend more time in San Gimignano and Siena but all included, we broke even on costs if we had done it ourselves.

Posted by
1880 posts

We took the bus from Florence to Siena in May. The bus dropped us off just outside the city walls/main piazza of Siena. We knew not to take the train as the train station is way outside the piazza area of Siena.

the bus cost us about $9 each. I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure what time the last bus leaves, but I'm sure when you are in Florence, you can stop by the bus station before you plan this day trip to find that info out.

The trip took about an hour, and we only stopped once or twice along the way.

I'm pretty sure since the bus dropped us off in Siena right by the piazza, you can catch the bus there too...just buy a ticket from the bus driver, or a round trip ticket when you purchase in florence.

have a wonderful time!

Posted by
36 posts

We took the SITA bus to Siena from Florence last year and we had no problem on the way there, but the way back was rough. All the buses were completely packed. Last bus left around 8:00pm, but the schedule is different on different days of the week.